X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting cifs share from /etc/fstab on boot

I have a Samba share listed in /etc/fstab as follows:
    Code:
    hpmediavault:FileShare /mediavault cifs user,users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,pass='' 0 0
    . It doesn't get mounted on bootup, but I'm able to mount it later on with the obvious mount /mediavault. What can I do to get it mounted automatically on bootup?

Re: Mounting cifs share from /etc/fstab on boot

try adding "_netdev" option

from man mount:
    _netdev
    The filesystem resides on a device that requires network access (used to prevent the system from attempting to mount these filesystems until the network has been enabled on the system).

Comment

I am amazed it mounts at all. The hpmediavault:FileShare is not like any notation I have seen, which may just mean my smb knowledge is dated.

I think that with options user and users it will not get mounted at boot as the user is unknown. If your purpose is to allow a user to read and write to it you should mount it on a mount point owned by that user and us the uid= gid= options.

Comment

Modified fstab but still no success

Using the advice from this thread, I changed the fstab line to:
        Code:
        hpmediavault:FileShare /mediavault cifs defaults,guest,_netdev 0 0
        But I still don't get /mediavault mounted on bootup.

I tried putting user back in and got this:
        Code:
        pwa@Lepiota:~$ mount /mediavault
        mount error: permission denied or not superuser and mount.cifs not installed SUID
        pwa@Lepiota:~$ ls -l $(which mount.cifs)
        -rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 23340 2008-10-10 12:56 /sbin/mount.cifs
        p

Comment

Mixing advise from 2 sources is not likely to work and it didn't.
          Quoting from man mount.cifs
          The mount.cifs utility attaches the UNC name (exported network resource) specified as service (using //server/share syntax, where "server" is the server
          name or IP address and "share" is the name of the share) to the local directory mount-point.

I have trouble seeing that in hpmediavault:FileShare. If there is something I am not aware of, like a new syntax, please enlighten me. Otherwise I would suggest an fstab line something like
          //hpmediavault/FileShare /mediavault cifs rw,uid-1000,gid=1000

and then /mediavault should be owned by user 1000 and group 1000. You may well need to supply a username and password for the share in which case you can add
          credentials=/home/user/.smb_creds to the options and then ~/.smb_creds looks like

username=windows user
          password=windows password

Comment

I think it's a timing problem, not a permissions problem

I changed the fstab line to use //hpmediavault/FileShare, but it made no difference. I also observed that if I execute mount -a as root once the system is up and running, /mediavault gets mounted correctly, so it seems very unlikely that faulty permissions are the cause of the problem.

Apparently _netdev doesn't play well with CIFS, because /var/log/messages contained this line:
            Code:
            Mar 31 18:50:59 Lepiota kernel: [ 223.468987] CIFS: Unknown mount option _netdev
            Moreover, a grep search on that logfile looking for "mediavault" found nothing at all, so apparently CIFS mounts don't get logged except for certain errors they might generate.

I think that what I need is code like the following in some system initialization file that gets executed as late as possible during bootup:
            Code:
            (while "network not up"; do sleep 10; done
            mount -a
            ) &
            The idea is to start a process that waits for the network to start up, then mounts everything again.
            But I don't know where to put that code. It would be even better if I could test explicitly if the mount succeeds.

Comment

That already happens. Look in /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh.

Comment

Re: I think it's a timing problem, not a permissions problem

As a temporary workaround, you can try putting your mount command in /etc/rc.local (this is executed last in the boot process) so your network should be up.

I'd still check the order of Sxxmountall/Sxxnetworking/Sxxmountnfs startup links in /etc/rcS.d:
                Sxxmountall should run first (and exlude filesystems with _netdev option)
                then Sxxnetworking, and Sxxmountnfs should be run after networking.

You can even try increasing the number for Sxxmountnfs (and Sxxmountnfs-bootclean) to bump them a little further in the boot process (you can try S60 and S61 respectively). This may give your network a bit more time to get up before trying to mount.

Comment

No mountnfs.sh in my copy of /etc/init.d at least

Code:
                  root@Lepiota:/etc/rcS.d# ls /etc/init.d/ | grep nfs
                  mountkernfs.sh
                  mountnfs-bootclean.sh
                  nfs-common
                  umountnfs.sh
                  waitnfs.sh
                  root@Lepiota:/etc/rcS.d# find /etc -name "*mountnfs*"
                  /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs
                  /etc/rcS.d/S46mountnfs-bootclean.sh
                  /etc/rc0.d/S31umountnfs.sh
                  /etc/rc6.d/S31umountnfs.sh
                  /etc/init.d/umountnfs.sh
                  /etc/init.d/mountnfs-bootclean.sh
                  root@Lepiota:/etc/rcS.d#
                  Perhaps there's actually a bug here (or at least a versioning problem).

In any event, I'll try just sticking a mount -a -t nfs,cifsl at the end of the bootup sequence. I don't see how it could hurt (or am I missing something?).

Comment

Quoting from the top of /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh
                    # Description: Network file systems are mounted by
                    # /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs in the background
                    # when interfaces are brought up; this script waits
                    # for them to be mounted before carrying on.
                    #

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                      Quoting from the top of /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh
                      # Description: Network file systems are mounted by
                      # /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs in the background
                      # when interfaces are brought up; this script waits
                      # for them to be mounted before carrying on.
                      #
                      Good pick. As it is, moving the startup link around is probably of little use.

Originally posted by pwabrahams
                      Perhaps there's actually a bug here (or at least a versioning problem).
                      Could be that things are different in Hardy 8.04 (the 'waitnfs' script could be doing the same thing as mountnfs...I don't have hardy so I can't check) anyway, you can try reinstalling "initscripts" package to make sure all the right scripts are installed.

In any event, I'll try just sticking a mount -a -t nfs,cifsl at the end of the bootup sequence. I don't see how it could hurt (or am I missing something?).
                      It shouldn't hurt. Sort of a "hackish workaround"™, but if it works.

Comment

No mountnfs.sh even after reinstallation, waitnfs.sh doesn't do it

I reinstalled the initscripts and again did a search for mountnfs.sh. It wasn't there. So I looked at waitnfs.sh. It says:
                        Code:
                        # Short-Description: Wait for critical network file systems to be mounted
                        # Description:    Network file systems are mounted in the background when
                        #          interfaces are brought up; this script waits for
                        #          those among them which are critical for booting to be
                        #          mounted before carrying on.
                        #          Specifically, it will wait for file systems mounted
                        #          on /usr, /usr/*, /var, /var/*
                        #          This script WILL NOT wait on other network file which are
                        #          mounted elsewhere!
                        Since waitnfs.sh only looks at critical file systems, it does seem that the lack of mountnfs.sh is a versioning bug. Whether mountnfs.sh, if installed, would solve my problem remains to be shown.

Comment

The init scripts are not moved around. The way the init system works is that the scripts are in /etc/init.d and to select which get run when the system is entering or leaving a runlevel symbolic links are created in the runlevel directory, Sxxscript in /etc/rc2.d will cause script to run with the start argument when runlevel 2 is entered. Kxxscript in tha same directory will cause script to be run with the stop argument when runlevel 2 is entered.

The default runlevel for Debian (Kubuntu) is 2. /etc/rcS.d is for system scripts that need to run earlier.

/etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh is part of the package initscripts. I don't have an Intrepid box to check but I am almost certain that the file is there.

Comment

Where is mountnfs.sh?

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                            /etc/init.d/mountnfs.sh is part of the package initscripts. I don't have an Intrepid box to check but I am almost certain that the file is there.
                            Could it be that the file is in Intrepid but not in Hardy (8.04.2)? I did a find search for it after reinstalling initscripts and still came up empty-handed.

Comment

It could be. I would be very surprised if that is true.
                              dpkg -L initscripts
                              will list the files in that package. If it is not in there then it is not.
                              dpkg -L initscripts | grep nfs
                              should make it very easy to see.

Comment

Working...
                              X