Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WEIRD-ass samba issue (only when mounted in fstab)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WEIRD-ass samba issue (only when mounted in fstab)

Hey guys, I usually try to work these things out without posting to a forum, but I'm at my wits-end and could really use the help.

Basically, when I manually browse and copy to a samba share hosted on a windows OR linux box (using 'Remote Places' under the System Menu) - All is well. The transfer speed reported is spot-on, and everything's farts and rainbows

However, when I mount the same share under fstab, things start to get a little funky. If I copy any file over to that mounted share, the reported speed is in excess of 70MB/sec most times, the progress gets to 100% instantly, hangs for about 30 seconds, then the transfer completes. It appears to be a caching issue, maybe the file is cached locally then transmitted over the network? In any case, I've posted some details for you to analyze:

My FSTAB file is below (I *know* I should store the user/pass in a separate file accessible by root, I'll get to it I promise!)

Code:
    /dev/scd0             /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0

# The shares below are hosted on a Kubuntu box

//Multimedia/Unsorted   /mnt/Unsorted  smbfs  username=baudthief,password=****,uid=1000,gid=1000 0    0
    //Multimedia/Backups    /mnt/Backups  smbfs  username=baudthief,password=****,uid=1000,gid=1000 0    0
    //Multimedia/Multimedia  /mnt/Multimedia smbfs  username=baudthief,password=****,uid=1000,gid=1000 0    0
    //Multimedia/Multimedia2 /mnt/Multimedia2 smbfs  username=baudthief,password=****,uid=1000,gid=1000 0    0
    //Multimedia/Movies     /mnt/Movies     smbfs  username=baudthief,password=****,uid=1000,gid=1000 0    0
    //Multimedia/Webserver  /mnt/webserv01 smbfs  username=baudthief,password=****,uid=1000,gid=1000 0    0
    //Multimedia/NewWeb    /mnt/webserv02 smbfs  username=baudthief,password=****,uid=1000,gid=1000  0    0

# The share below is hosted on a WindowsXP box

//loungeroom/winavi     /mnt/mm smbfs  uid=1000,gid=1000  0    0
    Here's a screenshot illustrating a copy to a samba share (manually browsed to and NOT mounted):

[img width=400 height=243]http://www.podecoet.org/normalcp.png[/img]

And here's a screenshot copying to the same share, but this time accessing it through its mountpoint in fstab (it reached 100% INSTANTLY, but then hung for 30 seconds while the file actually copied):

[img width=400 height=241]http://www.podecoet.org/funkycp1.png[/img]

Does the same thing for Windows and Linux samba shares. Only does the above if it's mounted AND you access it through the mount (ie: if you mount it, but still access it by browsing Remote Places, it behaves) - Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

-PodeCoet

Re: WEIRD-ass samba issue (only when mounted in fstab)

Try changing the file system in fstab to smb.
    I used smbfs on my clients when I was first setting up my server, but found that it made the client pig slow.
    Using smb instead seemed to make it work as it should.

I see you have got fstab resolving the host name, I could never get it to resolve unless I used an ip address.
    Can't say I put much effort into that though as my core hardware all gets a static ip address anyway.
    I will be interested to know if you find a difference with the above, just to confirm my experiences.
    You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the response! For the hostnames I simply installed winbind, and modified "hosts:" in /etc/nsswitch to include wins - Unfortunately changing the fs type to smb in fstab didnt work, threw the following error:

mount: unknown filesystem type 'smb'

Comment

Did you have the full version of samba installed or just the client?
        Can't say that I have used the fstab mounting for a while now, but will be once I get enough parts together to build another server.
        The guts of my last one went into a friends octogenarian pc before I moved to Oz.
        You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Full samba installation (just confirmed)

And yay for Oz! If only our $AUD was a little higher ;p

Comment

i have a very similar set up w/ samba... there are two diffrences between your set up and mine
            i use an ip address and i have 8.10 w/ kde4.2.3

if you restart your server and then try to open dolphin or a file browser on your clients (kubuntu client on mine) does it all lock up ? then refuse to shut down ?

that seams to be my weird samba problem (i am hosting the shares w/ ubuntu btw)
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X