Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most appropriate option to remotely connect my laptop to my desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the most appropriate option to remotely connect my laptop to my desktop?

Ok so here's the situation:
    I'd like to be able to securely pass files from my home computer to my laptop and from my laptop to my home computer. Security is my first concern, and making this easy to setup, maintain, and operate is also a fairly high priority.

Complications:
    The laptop is running a Kubuntu 8.04 Host with a VMware WinXP guest, and my desktop is running Kubuntu 8.04. I'd like to be able to access a directory on the host computer from the laptop wherever I can get an internet connection no matter which of the OS's I'm running on the laptop. Note: The laptop is able to connect to the internet via the WinXP guest and also from the Kubuntu Host.

Questions:
    What is the most appropriate method for this situation? For example: Should I just use a Samba share, OpenSSH, VPN, a Web server, or something else? In your opinion which of these options seems most appropriate for what I'm trying to do and most importantly why is that method most appropriate?

Thank you for taking the time to help me narrow my choices down to something that at least makes a little more sense.

Re: What's the most appropriate option to remotely connect my laptop to my desktop?

Use ssh to login between computers. It is completely secure and will allow you to mount directories from one computer to the other.

See ssh(1).

Comment

Working...
    X