X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

command line email

Hi All!

I've convinced a bunch of my pals to get on the penguin, butt the caveat is that I need to be able to keep an eye on their boxes from far away. I'm planning to remotely administer two offsite platforms via ssh tunneling across the web.

Both machines are behind routers, so i'll be port forwarding within the router to reach each host machine from the net. Both WAN machines have dynamically allocated IP addresses, which I will be periodically poling from an internet IP discovery site. That will be an icky Perl script to wade through the return - any alternative suggestions are very welcome.

Finally, the host will email the address to my remote admin machine periodically, so I will know where to find each machine when the IP addresses change. I'm using a utility called sendEmail, after being completely baboozled by mailx.

I have installed and configured Postscript per ubuntu help docs and can't make mailx work at all. SendEmail, on the other hand, works great. Which brings me to my real question:

Do I need to have Postscript running to make SendEmail work? Also, is there is "dummy" version of Postscript setup docs anywhere? How about mailx? I HATE being a dummy but it seems like noone's intereted in command line email utilities, any more. For that matter, can I script an email via thunderbird?

Thanks everyone

Re: command line email

You should have your buddys sign up for free dynamic DNS at dyndns.org and then run ddclient on each of their machines. This will associate a name with each machine and when the IP address changes ddclient will update the DNS so the hostname still works. It is very slick.

Comment

Working...
    X