This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Wireshark

Hi, any idea what I need to do to get Wireshark started? This is the screenshot under;

Capture | Options

I believe I need to create an interface (so I just put in my PC's IP address...but that didn't seem to work)...

Not sure - if you know thanks!! Basically playing around here, learning, curious. Nothing critical.

Alex

[img width=400 height=333]http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt259/alex44141/Linux_Forums/Wireshark1.jpg[/img]

------------------------------------------

EDIT - Okay, so I started up with sudo command and that helped! Works fine with eth0 as the "default" interface. Is it dangerous to run this program as root? I get a message to that effect!

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Re: Wireshark

Should be safe. It's only because sniffing packets is deemed an 'admin' sort of privilige.

Comment

Re: Wireshark

Thanks...not finding any difficulties so far. Works very nicely in Kubuntu too! I've been analyzing my packets and its very interesting to what travels around on my local network and so on.

Alex.
      Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Working...
      X