This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing connection?

I'm having trouble with the internet connection, in that it breaks after a few minutes.

Firefox will load a few pages, then all i get is an "Error: Page not found" message. Adept will spend ages "Fetching Updates - 0%"

It's a Netgear wireless setup, which - i have to add - works flawlessly for hours with XP, so the trouble seems to be with Knetworkmanager.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Losing connection?

Hi,

I have never had any good luck with networkmanager so I switched to WICD. The repo is here:
    deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
    You should just download the .deb because it will ask you to remove knetworkmanager before it installs. I believe you will also need python installed also. Once installed, it is simple to setup and keep connected. Since switching the only other problem I have had was when my wireless card died. Funny because those were my symptoms right before it died..... :-)

Comment

what kind of netgear card is it?
      Still lerning linux after all these years<br />Kubuntu 9.04<br />

Comment

It's a Netgear 54Mbps USB2.0 WG111v2

Comment

An update.... i apologise for the time-lapse.

I installed wicd - first removing networkmanager, and the same problem cropped up.

I also installed another driver (i forget what).

As things seemed incurable and XP was getting a bit flaky, i decided on a complete re-install of both XP and Hardy (from a freshly-downloaded CD) hoping to cure the problem that way.

Unfortunately, i haven't been able to complete the initial updates, because the connection keeps dropping out.

As i only need a computer to discuss a few subjects on a Forum (other than this one) and to read a few emails, so as much as it goes against the grain, i think that for the forseeable future i'll stick to using XP.

Thank You All for all the help i've received on this Forum.

Warmest Regards,
          malcolm

Comment

Originally posted by aged hippy

XP was getting a bit flaky
            Do you mean "flaky like Windows always gets after awhile" or do you mean XP was also losing the network connection? If the net connection was dropping out in XP as well as Linux, that points to a hardware issue unrelated to the OS.

Comment

Yes, "flaky like Windows always gets after awhile" - it was taking a long time to boot, and many of the program names were in blue, for some reason.

I never had/have any problems with internet access with it.

As with networkmanager, all i had to do was to give it the network password, and it connected straight away, but - unlike networkmanager (and wicd) it doesn't lose the connection after a while.

Comment

Working...
              X