Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removed Knetworkmanager to install Wicd - now no network....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removed Knetworkmanager to install Wicd - now no network....

Hi

I've been trying to install Wicd but adept showed that ther was a conflict with Knetworkmanager which I then removed, thinking it is only the graphical interface and not something that does all the work. Now I cannot connect to the network.. I have tried installing it again from the original CD as well as a APTonCD disk without success
    Any suggestions? Do i need to reinstall?

Re: removed Knetworkmanager to install Wicd - now no network....

did you get wicd installed? I remove knetworkmanager on my 8.10, install wicd, and everything works...I think there is a python dependency though, so you want to make sure you have that, or have a way to get it (usb stick from another computer)
    mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply, I caved and reinstalled
      What happened is that I wanted to install Wicd and adept told me there would be a conflict with KNetworkmanager. So the reasonable thing was to remove it, as I thought it was merely the GUI to engine that does all the work. Turns out I could not connect to a network anymore after that and I could not reinstall it from the original CD, no matter how I tried. I'd still like to resolve this for future reference, in case I break something like this again

mm0, you were right about the dependency. Adept listed a whole lot of issues without being specific. Aptitude told me the issues was with python and GTK if i remember correctly.

The question remains : How do i fix someting like this if I lose network connectivity. I'm sure there should be a way to install it from the original Cd, as that was where it came form in the first place. Any pointers?

Comment

You can always reactivate the cdrom repository in the situation you are describing. But, if you had the system running for some time, and therefore gotten package updates along the way, the attempting to reinstall a package could result in issues, one being that Adept reports that dependencies are missing or would conflict with newer ones already installed.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did reactivate the repository, but no luck. I tried installing from adept as well as aptitude, without any luck. No matter what I tried, it insisted one getting any new bits from the net. I'm not sure it even looked at the CD. I'll break this again on a machine I don't care much for, and see if we can get it working again. I found a script somewhere that I ran to change to Wicd, which worked well. I wanted to do that to my laptop afterwards, but could not remember where the script came from and tried to do it manually, which led to this issue

Comment

After re-activating the cdrom as a repository, you need to update the package cache. With the cdrom identified as a package repository in the sources.list file, the update will read the cdrom. Errors will be reported for the other repositories which are 'on-line' and for which you can't connect, but those can be ignored.

Post your /etc/apt/sources.list file for a review. Let's see if the cdrom entry is written correctly.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yesterday I installed wicd without any problems on 8.04 but today I ran into the same problem mentioned here when trying to install it on 8.10.

After including the repro Adept and Synaptic would not see the package.
              When I downloaded the package and tried to install it that way I too had the problem that networkmanager could not be removed.

But when I tried to install using:
              Code:
              $ sudo apt-get install wicd
              all worked out fine.

Comment

Working...
              X