This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wicd show's no networks with ath5k

I'm running kubuntu 8.04.1 with a dlink dwl-G520 (atheros 5212) wireless card, the problem is that when i switch from madwifi to ath5k no ap's show up in wicd, kwifimanager and other network managers i tried, but i CAN connect to a network over the command line
    btw. wifi0 interface is up and running everything seems ok except this...

another thing thats bugs me is that if i try to revert to madwifi ( sudo athload madwifi ) i get a message like "ath5k is still in use" and my system freezes, kernel panics or whatever.... after restart i have to remove the new modules from the recovery console to get X-server up ??

i really need some help with this

Re: wicd show's no networks with ath5k

I did a google on "ath5k atheros 5212", and it would seem that you're not alone. There is also a bug posted for Intrepid (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/267761), obvious ly you're not there yet, but it looks like a pattern.

As far as going to madwifi after you have started ath5k, you will need to rmmod ath5k before loading madwifi. If you want to leave madwifi as your default, you can blacklist ath5k so it doesn't load on the next boot.

Sorry, not much help I know, but sometimes you bite the bear and sometimes the bear bites you. I think it's simply that the ath5k module isn't quite as mature as it needs to be.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

the bug you mentioned is not quite what i'm experiencing, my connection doesn't drop or anything, it's just that i can't get any networks in wicd and kwifimanager except the network i connected with manualy, it just says no wireless networks available...

another thing is that knetworkmanager doesn't work for me (shows no networks) neither with madwifi or ath5k, thats a bit strange because i think that kubuntu 8.04 ships with knetworkmanager natively, and i know that networking was working after install

Comment

I believe WICD and Kwifi manager don't get along. Check WICD for possible conflicts with KDE app's.

Comment

Working...
        X