X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KNetworkManager and WPA

Hello,

I have been working to set up a DLink WUA 2340 USB wireless stick, and seem to be stuck getting KNetworkManager to connect to my WPA home network.

So far, I seem to have been successful in installing the WUA 2340 driver by following the instructions here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-368442.html

Interestingly, I encountered an error using the latest WUA2340 driver (version 1.5) but was able to use version 1.4. Using version 1.5 for XP and Vista, dmesg showed:
    ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:112): couldn't load driver agux86; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver"

Using 1.4, however, I get
    $ ndiswrapper -l
    neta5agu : driver installed
    device (07D1:3A08) present

and after the modprobe I can see wlan1 in ifconfig. Great.

Next: Connecting with KNetworkManager...

I am able to right-click on the KNetworkManager icon and see the available wireless networks. I am even able to connect successfully to an unencrypted network in the neighborhood. However, when I click on my wireless network (or use the "Connect To Other Wireless Networks" and supply my network settings) a status message hangs at 28% and then fails.

Using iwlist scan, I can see my network's details, and I can connect to the network with windows, so I guess I have the password and settings correct.

Cell 04 - Address: 00:1F:33:C9:CE:50
    ESSID:"Wizard"
    Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
    Mode:Managed
    Frequency:2.462 GHz (Channel 11)
    Quality:9/100 Signal level:-90 dBm Noise level:-96 dBm
    Encryption keyn
    Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 6 Mb/s
    12 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s; 36 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s
    48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s
    Extra:bcn_int=100
    Extra:atim=0
    IE: WPA Version 1
    Group Cipher : TKIP
    Pairwise Ciphers (1) : TKIP
    Authentication Suites (1) : PSK

I have wpasupplicant installed, though I haven't yet done any configuration to it.

Can anyone suggest a next step in isolating the problem?

thanks!
    -Matt

Re: KNetworkManager and WPA

I'm having a similar problem with one of my laptops. I'm running a WPA secured network, with no SSID broadcast. On one of my laptops running Kubuntu 8.04 (fully updated) I will tell the laptop to connect, with no luck, it will time out (a max of 28%). Then if I go into the options and remove the network from the Wireless Networks list, it will connect just fine (I don't even have to re-enter my network key). Network Manager will see the network without a problem, in fact it still seems to see a network ID that I discontinued about 3 months ago. I don't have a log file currently, but I will try to post one soon. I haven't found any similar problems in Launchpad.

Comment

Re: KNetworkManager and WPA

This is a quick response off the top of my head. So if it's not 100% correct please fogive me.

The conflict is between WPA and DHCP if you set your IP address to a Static address instead of a DHCP slected one WPA should work.

This has been a known Ubuntu bug since Gutsy (7.10) if not before (are you listening devlopers?)

If I'm wrong please correct me.

Ted

Comment

Working...
      X