This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allowing more than 1 user access to the 'net

Hi I'm running Hardy & have sorted out my wireless card ok using the fwcutter so I can connect to my network with no problems. However, I've created a new account so my daughter can use the same PC but she cannot access the internet without having to use my sudo password in order to access the knetwork manager. I'm sure there's a solution to this right under my nose ! Is there a way I can allow other users internet access without using my own password ?

Re: Allowing more than 1 user access to the 'net

I'm having the same issue although I'm running Intrepid and a USB modem, a Huawei device accessing the 3G network.

I'm sure there's a solution to this right under my nose !
    Any help, anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by JTN
      Hi I'm running Hardy & have sorted out my wireless card ok using the fwcutter so I can connect to my network with no problems. However, I've created a new account so my daughter can use the same PC but she cannot access the internet without having to use my sudo password in order to access the knetwork manager. I'm sure there's a solution to this right under my nose ! Is there a way I can allow other users internet access without using my own password ?
      I believe KDE Wallet will help you. You still need to record your password within the wallet, but the user never sees it and instead uses their own password to sign in to the wallet. Once they sign in, the wallet takes care of the rest.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Probably the easiest and maybe best solution is
        sudo aptitude install wicd

wicd will replace knetworkmanager and allows you to specify a wifi connection as a system connection so that it is started before any user logs in. The same thing can be accomplished using the Debian ifupdown system and editing /etc/network/interfaces.

Comment

Working...
        X