This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My network died (please HELP)

I have no idea what went wrong but my network died and I can't connect to internet any more.
    I was trying to get x-server to work on two monitors and I installed pkg config.
    Pkg config didn't help my X problems but I got the Nvidia sign just before X starts and I got transperancy.
    But I lost internet connection.
    I don't know if pkg config had to do anything with network being dead, as I did uninstall it and it still doesn't work.
    I'm submiting this from my recently installed Windows which came handy (does it have any possible effect on network) and here it works nicely. I tried to change the internet cable (as it worked before) but to no success.
    My IP adress on Knwtworkmanager is 0.0.0.0 instead of my actual IP. If this helps in any way.
    So what should I do??

Please help, if I don't get my internet back soon I'll be stuck on Windows for at least a month (Until the 8.10).
    (And maybe after a month I'll see no reason in going back to Linux )
    I'm magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Re: My network died (please HELP)

in Konsole try typing
    sudo dhclient
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Is this wifi, ethernet, or both? Also, did you update anything before this happened? And lastly, did you have to build any of your network drivers (such as madwifi)? If you had to build anything, updating certain objects (namely the kernel itself) can sometimes stop causing things to work. You would have to build them again for the new kernel installed.

If you didn't, try looking at your network devices to see if any of them have been accidentally disabled.
      Sony Vaio VGN NR260E<br />Linux Kubuntu 9.04\Windoze 7 Professional<br /><br />Sony Vaio VPCF1190X<br />Linux Kubuntu 10.04/Windoze 7 Home Premium<br /><br />Linux user #478627

Comment

Originally posted by divide0
        Is this wifi, ethernet, or both? Also, did you update anything before this happened? And lastly, did you have to build any of your network drivers (such as madwifi)? If you had to build anything, updating certain objects (namely the kernel itself) can sometimes stop causing things to work. You would have to build them again for the new kernel installed.

If you didn't, try looking at your network devices to see if any of them have been accidentally disabled.
        It's ethernet (I don't have WiFi) and I installed pkg config.
        How do I look at my network devices? (I'll asume that I don't know)
        I&#39;m magnet for errors, problems and bugs...

Comment

In Konsole..

ifconfig will display any configured network interfaces.

lspci will show detailed information about all PCI buses and devices in the system.
          &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
            In Konsole..

ifconfig will display any configured network interfaces.

lspci will show detailed information about all PCI buses and devices in the system.
            Thank you for your help!
            Hope it will work...

Comment

no problem.
              you can post back your results also, if you do not know what to look for, and the people here will help out with that.

Comment

no problem.
                you can post back your results also, if you do not know what to look for, and the people here will help out with that.
                I think I found out what the problem is (I will find out as soon as I boot back to Linux) my default gateway was set to 0.0.0.0 don't know how this happened. I didn't fool around network settings or any thing for that matter.
                Any idea how could this happen and how to prevent it from happening again?

Comment

wow... umm.. not sure. it's very strange that it would lose everything.
                  you said you are hard-wired correct?
                  are you using a router?

Comment

wow... umm.. not sure. it's very strange that it would lose everything.
                    you said you are hard-wired correct?
                    are you using a router?
                    Not to my knowledge. I recently changed from xDSL to FTTH and first few days it worked great.
                    But then one day it stopped working. So I switch my cable for IPTV cable and it worked fine until two days ago. I tried the cable switching again and it didn't work this time.
                    I just remembered that I tried Ubuntu 7.03 Live CD or something like that and it didn't work there either.
                    Is there any possibility that this is due to the driver that I installed in Windows or somehow windows connected? (I don't think so, but I have to eliminate all of the possibilities)

Comment

so you are using a cable modem?
                      have you tried to reset the modem yet?

Comment

so you are using a cable modem?
                        have you tried to reset the modem yet?
                        I did the hard reset on my modem and it worked!
                        Thanks I can use Kubuntu again!

Comment

Great!

Cable modems are a little touchy if you do any changes after initial set-up.
                          They lock onto the mac address and if there are any changes to the pc (ie: OS, new hard drive, new nic) they kind of freak out and have to be reset.

Can you mark this topic as solved, just in case somebody else has this problem they can refer to how you solved the problem.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X