This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something missing?

I have an HP Pavillion zv500z laptop, 64 bit Athlon, 512 mb main memory, 100gb HDD with 64 bit Kubuntu Hardy dual booting with XP. I also have a Linksys WPC54GS PCMCIA wireless adapter which I have not been able to get running despite multiple efforts. I think that there might be something missing in my system. If I go to "K"->System Settings -> Network settings it will show my Ethernet port but no wireless port. "lshw" gives the following (in part)

*-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Network controller
    product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    version: 03
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: cap_list
    configuration: latency=0

lspci gives the following (in part):

02:04.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1620 PC Card Controller (rev 01)
    02:04.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1620 PC Card Controller (rev 01)
    02:04.2 System peripheral: Texas Instruments PCI1620 Firmware Loading Function (rev 01)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 03)

but "iwconfig" gives:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

I have the feeling that there is something missing in my system that keeps it from enabling and using my Wi-fi adapter. Is this a possibility and if so, what can I do about it. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks, BobI

Re: Something missing?

I have a Broadcom 4306. Go here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ireless+feisty

Look as far as Problem 1 an 2.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for the reply and the reference. I forgot to mention in my post that I had tried drivers, both using the firmware cutter and ndiswrapper. No luck with either.
      I will print and try the reference.
      Thanks BobI

Comment

Thanks again for the reference. It was hard to follow as I am running Kubuntu rather that Ubuntu, had to use Kate rather than Gedit, didn't need to compile ndiswrapper, etc., but still no joy.

iwconfig now gives the following:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSIDff/any
        Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
        Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm
        RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B
        Power Managementff
        Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
        Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
        Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I entered the essid and proper WEP key in the proper places, but it could not find my router, even though it is only 3 or 4 feet away, and could not find any of the neighboring open ports in the neighborhood that XP finds without a hitch. Any suggestions?
        Bob I

Comment

In Hardy there is a package called "b43-fwcutter". It is a much better product than the old fwcutter. I use it on my system. Even though my wifi uses the BCM4318 chip, I'm pretty sure, it'll work with the 4306 chip.

The b43- package has a much better, more comprehensive installer and even retrieves the firmware for you. If it doesn't work, well there's always ndiswrapper.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Sorry, neither "b43-fwcutter" or "ndiswrapper" are able to get my Linksys card working. I have a feeling that the problem may be that I am using a 64-bit version of Kubuntu Hardy and there is some incompatibility.
            Bob I

Comment

Working...
            X