X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless Card Configuration

Hi. I am new to Linux and Kubuntu.
    I have installed Kubuntu 8.04.1 on a Dell PC fitted with a "Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card"
    I have installed ndiswrapper from the CD using Adept.
    I have installed the Belkin drivers (inf and sys) OK.
    I have loaded the ndiswrapper module using modprobe.
    I have entered the IP address (fixed), essid name, gateway and DNS addresses via System Settings->Network Settings

But there is no connection to network ! KNetworkManager reports "No active device".
    I cannot ping another PC on the network.

What's the next step ?!

BTW - I have read references to "Wireless Assistant". What is that - it is not installed and is not listed in Adept.

PS:
    "iwlist wlan0 scanning" shows the nearby access points
    "iwconfig wlan0 essid <networkname>" worked
    "iwconfig" shows that wlan0 is associated with the access point ok.

I am going crazy here. Any help gratefully received !

Re: Wireless Card Configuration

sorry - another question - can I "scan for networks" without using the console ?

Comment

It's got worse - after rebooting my mouse pointer movement is very jerky and unusable. I think I am going to have to go back to Windows XP ....

Comment

"modprobe -r niswrapper" then reboot gets the mouse working normally again.

Still no network though :-(

Comment

I don't have a wifi but some friends do.
          This helped them:
          http://easylinuxwifi.org/

hope it helps you as well
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks - I'll take a look at that - but I think the ndiswrapper bit went okay ...

Comment

After setting up your drivers try opening a Konsole and type sudo dhclient
              then check the settings in Network Manager to connect to your router.
              If you still have no connection... I am not sure about Belkin, but check to see if the wireless is switched off.
              Open a konsole and type sudo lshw -C network

If still having trouble, I would check this out.
              https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/wireless.htm
              &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

please verify you are using the correct wep or wpa encryption type changeable by right clicking on the knetwork manage after using the Ndis wrapper and gtk Here is the accurate instructions to get the wireless working with the windows xp only driver ?// must have driver all ready extracted to a folder on a jump drive or portable device or connect to supported website for card maker

Here is the best write up on using ndis wrapper.

IF you need more like the whole extracting it..let me know.

3.4. Installing Windows driver
                3.4.1. Installing Windows driver using ndisgtk (ndiswrapper graphical interface)

· If you chose to install ndisgtk, the graphical interface for ndiswrapper, after installation click on System | Administration | Windows wireless drivers and follow the instructions on-screen. For an idea of what to expect, some screenshots of ndisgtk can be found here.

If this works, and you have a network connection, then you can skip to Automatically loading at Startup - ndisgtk will load the driver if it installs correctly.
                3.4.2. Installing Windows driver using command line

In a Terminal, run the following command:

· sudo ndiswrapper -i ~/drivers/drivername.inf

(assuming the driver is in a directory in your home folder called drivers, and is named drivername.inf)

ndiswrapper then copies the .inf and sys files into /etc/ndiswrapper/.... Don't forget that the filename you type in is case-sensitive.
                3.4.2.1. Check to make sure the driver was installed correctly

* Run the following command from a Terminal:

ndiswrapper -l

If the driver is installed correctly, you should see the following output:

Installed ndis drivers:

{name of driver} driver present, hardware present

or

{name of driver} : driver installed

device ({Chipset ID}) present

If you don't see this message:

a. Try a different driver such as the drivers for Windows 2000, or another driver matching the PCI ID on the ndiswrapper list.

b. This document has a troubleshooting section which may provide an answer.

c. Look for additional help. Read HowToGetHelp for more information.
                3.5. Load the new driver module

* If ndiswrapper correctly associates the driver to the wireless adapter, you are now ready to load the driver into memory, and try to establish a network connection. Open a Terminal and run the following commands:

· sudo depmod -a

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

Then, also in a Terminal, check for error messages:

tail /var/log/messages

Alternatively, open a Terminal and try the commands ifconfig and iwconfig. Your wireless card should appear with an interface name of wlan0. If it doesn't appear here, then the driver is not working properly. If no errors are given, you should now be able to configure the network connection.

Comment

Working...
                X