This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I boot into Kubuntu, I lose my Internet

When I boot into Kubuntu, I lose my Internet and then cannot install anything.

The specific link for the version I installed is http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?board=80.0 I have Internet access in Vista, seem to have access when running from the CD under Vista.

I have an icon that seems to show an active connection, and yet have NO REAL access to the Internet when booted up under Kubuntu.

I'm extremely NEW at this; Please be gentle.

Re: When I boot into Kubuntu, I lose my Internet

Can you tell us what kind of system it is and what type of network card? It will help determine what might be going on with the system. Since you have Vista running, you should be able to get the network card (wired and wireless) information from there.

Comment

System:
      Manufacturer = Hewlett-Packard Company
      Model = SR5548F
      Processor = Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GHz 2.20GHz
      RAM = 3.00GB
      System type = 32-bit Operating System

Don't know where Network Card info is; Please direct.

Comment

Is your connection wired or wireless?
        Go To a Konsole and type 'lspci' and give us the output.

Comment

Do what Thomas said. That would be best. I dumped Vista, so I'm not that familiar with the new path MS set for the Network configurations. If I remember correctly, they still have an entry in Control Panel for Network. What Thomas said though would still be best.

Comment

Connection is WIRED.

Realtek RTL8101E PCI Expres Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01).

Comment

Originally posted by lisa2008
              Connection is WIRED.

Realtek RTL8101E PCI Expres Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01).
              Read this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/215450.
              It was the second result from googling your card with "in ubuntu" added to the end.

Comment

Ouch; NOT good.

My computer is now partitioned 50/50 with Vista and Kubuntu. Will a NEW linux installation disc replace the first disc's data or will it now create a third partition ?

What would you suggest I do ?

Comment

During the install process it will ask you where you want to install. Just tell it to install to your existing linux partition and it will overwrite it.

Comment

Thanks for the info. A friend explained to me what Thomas found ... My installation is good but I need to replace my network card in order to have Kubuntu work on-line. How difficult is it to replace a network card ? Is there a list available stating which cards will work with Kubuntu ?

Comment

I don´t know about anyplace that maintains a list of compatible cards.

The two cards on this machine are:
                      Intel Corporation Etherexpress Pro/100+ (addon PCI card)
                      nVidia Corporation CK8S Ethernet Controller (rev a2) (Onboard ethernet)

The addon PCI card is an old one, it´s common, and you should be able to find a used one for ten to twenty bucks, or a new one for less than fifty.

If you are brave enough to open your computer up - installing the card is no problem at all. If you are unwilling to open the machine, some tech guy will probably install it for about twenty bucks.

Much depends on what you are willing and able to do, and how hard you want to work to make Kubuntu work.

Have you tried any LiveCD´s of other distros? It would be interesting to see if Suse, or Slackware, or the main Debian distro could find and use your network card.

Comment

Working...
                      X