X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KNetworkManager problem

Hi all,

I use Kubuntu 8.04 and KNetworkManager. Recently, KNetworkManager has no longer been displaying the address IP of my Ethernet card when I pass with the mouse's pointer on the icon appearing in the status bar of the tasks turning in background on the desktop. Moreover, when I make a click on this icon, the KNetworkManager graphic interface appears by stating that my Ethernet interface is inactive while it is quite active (network connection works perfectly and the info posted by the order ifconfig attests it well).

Any help is welcome.

Re: KNetworkManager problem

You will find a lot of folks have had issues with Knetwork Manager. One thing that is usually tossed out as an option is using an application called 'wicd' found at http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Personally, If my network was working, I'd be a happy camper.

Comment

Re: KNetworkManager problem

I do routinely replace network-manager with wicd.
      Works much better.

Right now I am experimenting with network-manager again. It works on 8.04 and 8.10.
      I keep my fingers crossed.

In one of the other discussion threads someone explained why so many users have problems with network-manger.
      Unfortunately, I cannot find the thread any more. It said something like click on the icon but do not attempt to configure the manager by right clicking the icon and then doing a setup. Or something to that effect.

I noticed in Kubuntu 8.10 that the manager comes on and a connection is made immediately when I open the start menu, go to Internet and click the Networkmanager icon.

This results in a speedy connection to the wired ethernet and a simple green, round icon in the main panel. No bars, no lights.

But the connection is on. A right click on that icon will show the wireless networks. Click on one and it should connect asking, in required, for the shared key.

As long as it works, I leave it alone.

Comment

Working...
      X