This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Connecting to a Wireless Network

I have a Wireless Network at home but i am having some problems on connecting Kubuntu to the internet.
    Kubuntu boots perfectly well. When I tell KNetworkManager to connect to the internet (wireless network) , an window pops-up asking the WEP key , which is normal. I enter the WEP and I press OK , it starts connecting and a blue bar appears. First it is at 28% saying "Starting the Device" then it gets to 52% saying "Starting IP Settings" and past like 30 seconds the windows asking for the WEP key pops-up again! Saying that it wasn't possible to connect to the network! That happens over and over again and only after repeating the process many times it finally connects! He rarely connects at the first time.

Can someone tell me why is this happening? He should logically connect at the first time!
    Should i replace KNetworkManager for another network manager?

Thanks in advance,
    Bio.

Re: Connecting to a Wireless Network

Originally posted by BioBang
    Should i replace KNetworkManager for another network manager?
    Try Wlassistant. I had nothing but problems with KNetworkManager because of my hardware (ACX100 chipset) and Wlassistant worked flawlessly.

But if you are connecting to the same WiLan all the time it's better to set it up manually in the system settings. Go to:

System Settings > Network & Connectivity > Network Settings > Network Connections

This should give you a default connection at home, and you can use Wlassistant to scan for connections when you are on the move.
    Toshiba Satellite 2800 P3M Coppermine @1GHz 256MB RAM GeForce 2 GO with 16MB DDR

Comment

Yes either wlassistant or wicd. Also can you open a terminal and post the output of:
      Code:
      sudo cat /etc/network/interfaces

Comment

I installed Wlassistant and it works!
        Now it always connects to the network in seconds!

Thank you all!

Comment

Working...
        X