Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying new modem/wireless router soon (gateway), any advice?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying new modem/wireless router soon (gateway), any advice?

I'm about to switch internet providers (dsl) soon, and need a new modem, so I decided to spring for one of the new combo models. Before I decide on something, I want to make sure it's all compatible and everything. Anyone had any trouble with these? Which have shown to work well with 8.04? I have a Gateway M210 laptop.

Re: Buying new modem/wireless router soon (gateway), any advice?

I'm against those combo modem/wireless devices. Buy an ethernet connected ADSL modem and buy a cheap access point. That'll be a little bit more expensive solution but you'll have some flexibility.

Another advantage of seperate wireless AP is, you can place the AP wherever you get the best reception.

Comment

Re: Buying new modem/wireless router soon (gateway), any advice?

"chainmaillechick",

Back in the day, I had one of the Cisco DSL 'modems' in my house. After tinkering with it, I found that it was a functional router as well. (though, it was all console commands through a terminal on COM1... no spiffy Web-based Configuration back then) In that light, these 'combo' devices are not all that new... but they are convenient, even to a fault.

I must say, "Betelgeuse" has a point about adding wireless access. If you already have a DSL modem/bridge/gateway that works well enough, adding an AP, or going so far as a full Ethernet/WLAN router wouldn't be a bad choice. (just make sure the DSL is in "bridge only" mode) If you compare the 'DSL combo' devices with the wireless routers, you might find that you'll save a few bucks with just a wireless router.

The only trouble I could imagine that involves Kubuntu... or the OS in general, would be switching to a wireless adapter, rather than an Ethernet adapter.

All I can say is, if you attach a "DSL Router with WLAN Combo", (or some such) it will either succeed or fail on its own regardless of what OS you have installed. In that light, I personally respect brands such as Linksys, Netgear and even Motorola. Other brands you might hear of are Hawking Technologies, D-Link and TrendNet, though I am less confident in the overall quality and service of those brands.

For my two cents, I would go with whatever DSL modem the ISP provides you, then go with a wireless router. This way, you have options; you can split your connection over Ethernet cable or wireless, you can keep your network setup separate from your ISP setup, (for when you change your ISP again) and most of all, you won't bring down your entire network when DSL fails. (in a practical sense, you'd be adding a layer of protection for your network from power surges and electrical storms)

Best of luck,
      - Douglas
      [hr]<br />System#1: Kubuntu 9.04 AMD64 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Athlon64-2x 4600+, 4GB DDR2-PC6400<br />nVidia GeForce 7300 / 512MB<br />System#2: Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Sempron 3300+, 2GB DDR-PC3200<br />

Comment

Working...
      X