This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless issues with Atheros

I just bought a New Hp dv6700 Laptop. I Killed Vista and Dual boot with Xp and Kubuntu. I am having problems getting my wif to work. When i go into Hardware drives the Atheros driver shows to be there and in use. But when I click on my wireless icon in the lower right hand of the Desktop it shows no active device. Am I just missing a step or do I need to go get something like Madwifi.

Thanks Dustin

Re: Wireless issues with Atheros

Are you using KNetworkManager? Assuming yes (I am, and it works with my Atheros wireless chip just fine), if you right-click on the icon, do you see this:

Attached Files
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No I do not get anything like that.
      I get a drop down with tabs, but I cant access the tabs. The drop down just says "No active device".
      How did you save that screen shot.

Thanks Dustin

Comment

Mine won't even show up in Hardware Drivers... anything special need to be done to get it listed in there?

lspci:04:07.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)

Comment

did you try this http://www.ubuntugeek.com/atheros-ar...rdy-heron.html

Comment

Originally posted by Lukky
            How did you save that screen shot.
            KSnapshot.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Some good news with Atheros (via Phoronix)...

madwifi.org

wireless.kernel.org

with all the foxconn and nvidia issues in the news lately, this is nice to see...

of course, I've pretty much given up with getting hardy to work with mine... too hard to motivate when it's a desktop machine

Comment

Re: Wireless issues with Atheros @kjjjshab

A lot of people are baffled as to why some of my desktops have ethernet and not wireless.
                Until I tell them I'd never use banking software over wireless - I've heard the security can be cracked in 45 minutes now! Could be hearsay but theres also burgeoning evidence that mobile phones do give you cancer and wireless may too!

Comment

I'm running 8.04 x64 on a dv6700 and this worked perfect for me.
                  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=dv6700

Comment

I had this same issue with Atheros. If your notebook is XP drivers the easiest solution I've found was to just use NDISWRAPPER and use the XP drivers to make it work. Madwifi didn't work on the system with my card.

Comment

Working...
                    X