This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intrepid Repositories??

If I have the Hardy Heron 8.04 install with KDE4, can I use the Intrepid repositories (to update Amarok)?

And I am not able to upgrade Amarok (now install, as I purged it to try and give a clean install). In Adept, when I select to install the package, it says "BREAK (install)" in the "Requested" column.

Re: Intrepid Repositories??

I'm afraid it's not that simple. When Canonical releases a new version, it's not something one can pick-apart and apply to any other version. The way they have it set-up, the repositories you use are specifically made for the version you have installed. (hardy for hardy, intrepid for intrepid, jaunty for jaunty)

My first question for you would be; why do you need to update Amarok? If it ain't broke, there's really no need to fix it.

If you're interested in what Intrepid Ibex has to offer, then download and burn the new CD image; it will upgrade your entire system. (as well as Amarok)

In fact, you may have seen a Full Upgrade button in Adept, where you can trigger the full-version update online. That means Adept will download the upgrades to take your system from Hardy to Intrepid while the system is up-and-running. You will need to restart before the upgrade is complete.

Keep in mind, the online update will take some time--depending on both the speed of your PC and your broadband connection--and you should have nothing else running; leave it alone during the update. Even under the best conditions, it can take an hour or more.

If worse comes to worse, simply back-up your home directory (make sure to include all the hidden folders) and start over with the 8.10 LiveCD. Once you restore the files to your home folder and restart, it should appear just like the system you have now. (provided you have all the same applications installed)

So... those are the options, if you like.

As for removing Amarok, you may be asking for trouble. See if you can use the regular Add / Remove Software under the 'K' menu Applications tab. If you continue to get errors, be sure to report them back here. (copy/paste if you can)

Good luck,
    - Douglas
    [hr]<br />System#1: Kubuntu 9.04 AMD64 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Athlon64-2x 4600+, 4GB DDR2-PC6400<br />nVidia GeForce 7300 / 512MB<br />System#2: Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE 4.2)<br />AMD Sempron 3300+, 2GB DDR-PC3200<br />

Comment

Re: Intrepid Repositories??

You may also just want to have a look here:
      http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...on-ubuntu-810/
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
      X