This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't figure out Wine

I'm brand new to Kubuntu (installed Friday). I'm trying to figure things out and have come a long way but am having some issues with Wine. (Unfortunately, there are a couple of Windows progs I can't live without.) I installed Wine with the Adept Installer and I can open the program. From here, I'm lost. I've searched both here and the internet in general and can't seem to find a decent tutorial. I've tried to install two programs so far. Both met with failure. The first is a game where I saved the installation program (.exe files) to a separate HDD. I attempted to install that (through Wine?). Now, when I try to run the program, Kubuntu crashes. The second program was The Weather Channel Desktop. I attempted to install it both from the TWC website and by d/ling it and trying to install it that way. The installation hits a roadblock at the EULA and freezes.

I'm sure I just haven't set up Wine correctly, but I really have no idea where to go. I'm not a programmer/coder by any means. I only wanted to try Linux seeking a more stable OS. (That and all the cool kids are doing it. ) The simplest directions I could find were at kubuntu101.blogspot.com. Either I'm not following those simple directions, I'm missing something, or something is corrupted.

Re: Can't figure out Wine

I don't know about a weather desktop widget-like app, but for "normal" Windows apps, you need to run the installer from konsole, using:

Code:
    wine installer.exe
    (replace installer.exe with whatever app you have).

Note, you need to be in the directory that you downloaded the app to... I find the absolutely easiest way to accomplish that is to use Dolphin... navigate to where the file is and then View -> Panels -> Terminal... from there just run that wine command and your app should install.

Then, find the windows app shortcut under the K Menu (you no longer ever run wine once the install is done - it "runs" automatically when you start your windows app)... they usually end up in a Lost & Found folder...

Otherwise, CrossOver is a pre-packaged ~wine application that can make installing apps even easier through a gui if you prefer...

Edit: Perhaps you are further along with your install than I first thought... please provide more details as to the app and where it has installed to and the like and perhaps I can help.

If your game shows up here, there is a good chance it will run fine under wine:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...pp_parent=4100

Comment

One other thing that I always do with WINE is go to www.winehq.org and click on the download link and follow the directions for adding the wine sources to your repository lists. This way you always have the latest and greatest versions of WINE. Also just follow kjjjjshab advice for installing windows applications by installing it through the konsole you can at least see the reasons for why it failed. If you have any other questions shoot me a message and I'll be more than happy to assist you. I'm no expert been running Kubuntu for a year now and I love every minute of it. Don't give up as there are a lot of people on this forum who are very helpful and will help show you the way.
      Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

I tried to install some Windows programs using Wine, but ad no luck, either. As I recall, I did have to do a configuration of Wine first. One program, a ham radio logging program almost worked, the main screen coming up OK, but missing was the tool bar at the top, which was critical to using the program. I think that it was because the programmer that wrote it us Microsoft Visual Basic, which no doubt, needed some part of Windows not emulated in Wine. I have yet to find a Linux logging program that worked as well as that Windows program, which is the main reason that I'm still dual booting with XP.
        Bob I

Comment

Bobl -

You might benefit from this post/thread: Topic: Logbook Of The World - Installation Problem - acpid Support?

I don't know what Windows program you are trying to use in Wine, but the post above is for a Linux program.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X