Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus & related issues (fixes not working)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus & related issues (fixes not working)

1) KDE 4.1.2 session starts with a file open in Kate. Kate runs, but there's this dialogue box: "Sorry - The KDE Session Manager /// KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error when calling start_service_by_desktop_path: empty". When I click ok, I'm instantly kicked out of KDE (4.1.2) and back at the KDM login.

2) When I open a text file from Konqueror or Dolphin, Kate also runs, but again there's a dialogue box: "Sorry - Konqueror (or Dolphin) /// KDEInit could not launch '/usr/lib/kde4/bin/kate'."

It's a known bug... http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=157407 ...but, "unfortunately", marked solved. The suggested fixes don't work. Some say "change %u to %U", some say "change %U to %u" in the Kate command in the text/plain filetype association. Doesn't make a difference either way.

"Part 2)" of the problem goes away when I remove the "-- use" argument from the Kate command there. But then it starts a new instance of Kate for every file. No good.

It also "helps" to change "DBUS registration" in the Advanced options to None, but then I get individual task bar entries for every text file openend in the same single Kate instance, and can Alt-Tab through them as though there were two, six, twenty Kates running! (NO GOOD!)

Any ideas... except avoid KDE 4 for now? I'm trying to get acquainted with it...
Working...
X