This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! KDE4.2 in ubuntu 8.04 LTS Edition

I'm currently using Ubuntu8.04 LTS edition... I have only the Gnome environment...I would like to try out kde4.2... wat should i do now... I already downloaded Kubuntu CD n tried to install the kde environ...
    but its not working...

Re: Help!! KDE4.2 in ubuntu 8.04 LTS Edition

The only way I can think of doing this is a bit around three corners: (and may not work, so you have been warned )

do a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kde-desktop
    This will give you kubuntu as a second desktop.

now go here:
    http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/User:Apac..._Neon/KDE/Info

follow the instructions but change this:
    to:
    Now open up synaptic and search for kde-nightly and install what every you want.

It should show up as a choice in gdm

Don't worry it installs to its own directory and does not effect the system.
    so if this does not work you can always get rid of it.

If it does work you will have the latest kde4.x to play with.

Hope this helps
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan

follow the instructions but change this:
      to:
      the official site of neon clearly states that neon always depends on the latest version of ubuntu. so I doubt it really works for hardy.

Anyway, if the OP wants to have a try, please backup your system before installing.

Comment

the official site of neon clearly states that neon always depends on the latest version of ubuntu.
        I know, but short of double booting with ubuntu / Kubuntu 8.10 I couldn't think of any other way.
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

the official site of neon clearly states that neon always depends on the latest version of ubuntu.
          I know, but short of double booting with ubuntu / Kubuntu 8.10 I couldn't think of any other way.
          The packages.gz file in the hardy subdirectory appears to be empty. I take that to mean there are no packages for hardy. Damn, and I was getting my hopes up too...
          linux since slack 2. kde since beta 1. kubuntu since hardy.

Comment

I suggest you install VirtualBox on your machine and try the newest version of kubuntu/KDE4 in a virtual machine. If you don't like, just delete it. You will not do any harm to your working environment. And VirtualBox can be uninstalled without any problems, which I would never do because it is so useful for testing etc.

Comment

I suggest you install VirtualBox on your machine and try the newest version of kubuntu/KDE4 in a virtual machine.
              That sonuds like a good idea. Especially with JJ going to RC soon.
              4 GB Ram
              Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
              X