This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4/3.5 logout to black

I am running Hardy 8.04 and KDE: 3.5.10 KDE: 4.1.2 on a Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop using an Nvidia graphics card. For the last few days, since reinstalling KDE after some problems, I can no longer logout. When I choose logout my screen goes black and I usually have to reboot the machine to get back to the login prompt where I can choose either desktop. I would really like to be able to get to the login prompt when I logout. Any ideas?

Re: KDE4/3.5 logout to black

Yes, install GDM. Unfortunately, this is an unsolved bug. See my report:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...96/+bug/202855

Actually, before installing GDM, which is a lot less funcitonal than KDM IMHO, you may wanna try this:

(from the bug report, as suggested by Ashutosh Mahajan)

a temporary fix is to use:
    TerminateServer=true

in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc. this restarts xserver after every session and avoids
    the crash.
    Please consider reporting any progress in the bug report, in Launchpad.

Comment

Ok. Thanks. I made that change. What does changing something in KDM3 have to do with KDM4? Is it because I am running both?

Comment

Did it help? You may be using KDM from KDE3, which is the one in Kubuntu 8.04, and then logging into either KDE3 or 4 depending on your choice. Or maybe KDM from KDE4 uses the same conf file, I really don't know ...

Comment

That didn't help. I see that it is a widely reported bug. Thanks for your help. Perhaps the best thing is to wait for an update or just upgrade to 8.10 and KDE4 dropping KDE3 altogether. GDM is nice but I prefer KDE and I have gotten to like KDE4. Thanks again for your suggestion. I do appreciate it.

Comment

I doubt it will be fixed (even though it's a critical bug). It's been 9 months already since it was reported.

I've done 'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart' everytime I've logged out. I'll try adding 'TerminateServer'.
            AMD Sempron 2800 | 1 GB | Geforce 4 Ti 4200 | Kubuntu 8.04

Comment

Originally posted by samwyse
              I doubt it will be fixed (even though it's a critical bug). It's been 9 months already since it was reported.

I've done 'sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart' everytime I've logged out. I'll try adding 'TerminateServer'.
              How do you do the kdm restart when the screen is black? Is there a way to get a command prompt up?

Comment

rbrown3rd: I think trying things like [ctrl-alt-F1] [ctrl-alt-F2]

Guys, all i can say is, if you go to launchpad and add to the bug report I started, maybe someone will look at it. AFAICT this is still happening in Intrepid. I had already given up on KDM, and switched to GDM (which is hard to configure, doesn't allow passwordless loging, etc., but at least doesn't greet me with a crash). But the other day I installed KDM in Intrepid, and not only it crashed on logout, but it also did on login later on, so I just uninstalled it :-(

Comment

Working...
                X