Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old PC - New Desktop - No effects (Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old PC - New Desktop - No effects (Solved)

I am running KDE4.1 and Kubuntu 8.04 on my desktop PC and an old Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop and have installed all updates. The desktop PC and the laptop are configured to have desktop effects on. My desktop PC is a home built machine running an old Geforce 6600 GT video card and the effects are striking. My old laptop has a Geforce 4400 Go video card and I cannot get any effects to work. Both machines are running the latest Nvidia drivers for the respective cards.

Should I stop trying to get effects to run on the old laptop or is it worth pursuing?

Re: Old PC - New Desktop - No effects

I don't think the latest nVidia drivers support the 4400...there used to be a package that was 'legacy', you might look into that.
    mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Thanks. I'll look into that but I am running an Nvidia driver now. Maybe I have the wrong driver. I was wrong about the video card. It is a Geforce 4 4200 GO. I just know it is pretty old. The GPU only has 64 mb of memory. The Nvidia X server settings show the driver is version 96.43.05. OpenGL capabilities seem to be there. I know the video card is pretty limited. I may have answered my own question. Still, KDE4 runs quite nicely without the effects.

Comment

Tinkering about with the hardware drivers manager in KDE4 and noticed that the Nvidia accelerated graphics driver check box was unchecked. I checked it and Adept opened and installed Nvidia-GLX. I rebooted and now I have the nice effects. Even with this old machine and graphics card. Wonders never cease to happen.

Comment

Working...
        X