X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 will not install

Here is the error message:
    Setting up kde-window-manager (4:4.1.2-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1) ...

Setting up kwin-kde4 (4:4.1.2-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1) ...
    Setting up kubuntu-kde4-desktop (0.14-0ubuntu1~hardy1~ppa1) ...
    Processing triggers for libc6 ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic
    linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic
    linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-21-generic
    linux-image-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-21-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-generic
    linux-generic
    linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Please assist.

Re: KDE4 will not install

Did you follow the instructions for Upgrading to KDE 4.1 specifically?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, those instructions were specifically followed.

Comment

To fix Adept errors:
        Open a console and type:
        Code:
        sudo dpkg --configure -a
        should fix it, else continue with
        Code:
        sudo apt-get clean
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install
        This procedure might help - it won't hurt.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          To fix Adept errors:
          Open a console and type:
          Code:
          sudo dpkg --configure -a
          Thank you for the response. However, this command failed. It appears to be a problem not restricted to KDE4, so I have moved the thread to http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099211.0. There I have posted further notes on my errors.

Comment

I did an upgrade from the standard ubuntu hardy kde 4 to the ppa kde 4.1 ppa and I had issues. I fixed it then I figured out what I needed to do on another machine See below*

Um, this might not be your problem, but I found I had to manually remove extragear-plasma extragear-plasma libplasma1 as they conflict with kdeplasma-addons and for some reason adept just could not understand how to pull this off.... but I found this out after it bailed on the upgrade even though it gave no indication when I marked "upgrade" that anything was going to break.

I ran synaptic and chose "fix broken packages" and let it do it's thing because adept made a mistake. I suppose it would have happened from the command line too, as something is NOT computing correctly. I used synaptic to fix my broken packages, and worked around removing and reinstalling things with aptitude and apt-get and got things back in order. Glad I have been using Ubuntu since 6.10!

*So on a completely different machine, I ran adept and hit "full upgrade" then used the preview function and again, there APPEARED to be no errors... That was that situation... and looked at what adept wanted to do and it wanted to UPGRADE extragear-plasma extragear-plasma, REMOVE libplasma1 AND install kdeplasma-addons on another machine (but extragear-plasma extragear-plasma depend on libplasma1 seemingly so this leads to a break and adept will leave a little mess for you to fix).

I think at least on some systems, somehow the code needs to be tweaked with installing kdeplasma-addons to remove extragear-plasma extragear-plasma libplasma1, and dependencies, then reinstall the removed dependencies as the new versions. I am not a programmer so I would have no idea how to do that;-)

I exited, abandoning changes.

So being that aptitude is aggressive, I started my upgrade to 4.1 by:

sudo aptitude remove extragear-plasma extragear-plasma libplasma1

it wanted to remove other things like kdm-kde4, kdebase-workspace-bin, among other things,

so before confirming, I opened a text editor and copied from terminal and pasted into the editor the packages that aptitude also wanted to remove, and saved it.

I confirmed aptitude's removal scenario...

I then ran

sudo apt-get upgrade (apt-get doesn't tend to further remove things aggressively when upgrading)

then I ran

sudo apt-get install kdeplasma-addons {list of packages previously removed pasted into text editor MINUS extragear-plasma extragear-plasma libplasma1}

For some reason, kdebase-workspace-bin didn't get included so then I ran

sudo apt-get install kdebase-workspace-bin

I found this last part out when I logged out and tried to log back into kde 4 and only had fluxbox and kde 3 as my options.

So I hope this helps anyone. I know it should just work to upgrade, but it did not on two machines of mine.

Comment

Working...
            X