This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help with screen resolution

Hi everybody, I am new to Linux but I used Hardy 8.04 for three months. Recently I upgraded to 8.10 with KDE 4.1 (or 4.0 - the standart package from kubuntu web-site.) I am on a notebook. The 8.04 supported my real screen resolution , this one has only 800x600. When going to desctop settings I see no other option for resolution except 600x480 (or something like that) . In the conf file there is nithingwritten about the screen resolution and I can not change it. Also I have (or I simply cant find ) administrator mode in the settings screen. Am I going mad or this 8.10 just does not support my hardware. Please, help.

Re: help with screen resolution

go to: k --> Computer (at the bottom of the menu) --> System settings --> Display (you will find that at the bottom where it says "Computer Administration") and there you should be able to change screen resolution. if that doesn't help than i can't help you.
    good luck.
    danny

Comment

If you are now running II 8.10, this post should have been made in that area of the forum.

What video card/chip is in your laptop?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Before reposting, be sure to run from konsole

lspci

then copy from the terminal and paste into your post the line about your video hardware.

You might fix it by opening konsole and running

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg then log out, choose "restart xserver" from the login menu and hope:-)

I noticed that during an upgrade on my laptop, the upgrade commented out some things but left other "junk" that hardy needed but seems to be ignored by intrepid... and perhaps the leftover things in yours is confusing the xserver.

I didn't really have any issues other than I never could nor can I still connect a projector and just have my running system detect it, even with xrandr. I have to go to runlevel 1 then back up... but at any rate, I just ran the command and got a very "minimal" looking xorg.conf file. What I did notice is that the screen looks a bit more crisp for whatever reason.

HAL controls a lot of the functions now, for better or for worse... so start with a clean xorg file by running that command.

Comment

Working...
        X