X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma & plasmoids problems

Hey

I managed to (involuntarily) crash plasma yesterday. I'm thinking of filing a bug about it, but I'm not sure if this is a known problem and already filed (don't want to spam launchpad). Anyway, I still have problems after the crash. Now I can't move or resize any plasmoids anymore and it's kind of annoying to not be able to use plasmas fullest potential. Does anyone know if this is a known problem? If so, does anyone know what I can do to be able to solve the problem?

If not, I would like to file a bug, but since I haven't done it before, I have no idea how to provide a useful bug report so I could use a little help there.

Thanks

Re: Plasma & plasmoids problems

Is your problem present if you choose at login to start with a new session?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yep, still exists even in a new session. Actually though, I figured out that I actually could move the plasmoids, but I have to drag it across the screen and it seems to be stting itself down in fixed position which is almost off the screen. There seem to be two fixed points where the plasmoids can settle down: top left corner (the original position for new plasmoids) and down right slightly off the screen (practically unusable). I still can't resize though.

Edit: Oh, and another thing: when I try to move the plasmoids, there's a white frame around it which wasn't there when it worked (before the crash).

Comment

Okay. What did you do that caused Plasma to crash?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I had three plasmoids on the desktop: knotes, the dictionary and the calculator. The crash occured when I was in plasma workspace (not sure if that's the english word for it (my desktop is in swedish), but the ctrl+f12 mode) and tried to close down the calculator. I tried this again after plasma was reloaded and it crashed again. I can however close down the calculator when not in workspace without it crashing.

Edit: I should mention that I have a nvidia 8500 GT gpu and the 177.80 drivers. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I thought I should leave it to someone who could analyze it.

Comment

If you have kde4 installed alongside kde3 login to kde3 open up konqueror activate view->show hidden files.
            navitage to .kde4/share/config and delete .plasmarc.

Reboot. and a new plasmarc will be configured. you will have to reset your desktop to how you had it before.

If you are on kde4 remix (without kde3) you will have to use a live cd. Activate the partition your kubuntu is on and then proceed as above.

Hope that helps
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Sorry, still can't properly move or resize the plasmoids. Can I also remove plasmaappletsrc so that it will recreate, or is that a bad idea?

Comment

Can I also remove plasmaappletsrc so that it will recreate
                That was going to be my next suggestion

But have to do it from with kde4 running in your username.

You can (forgot about that) boot into recovery mode and use
                Code:
                startx
                at the prompt to get to the desktop as "root"
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Ok, I am not sure if I did this right, but something got messed up. First, it didn't fix the initial problem. Second, now I can't log in as usual anymore. I have to login through recovery mode (works as root and also if I login at the prompt first), otherwise the boot process will hang when trying to load the desktop . What do I do now?

Edit: Btw, I removed the plasma-appletsrc in the root prompt. I guess that was my mistake.

Edit 2: Well, I managed to screw up so far that I had to reinstall the whole thing, and since then I have no problems with resizing or moving the plasmoids anymore. Guess this remains unsolved until someone else might get the same problem, but for me, this case is closed for now. Thanks for all the help though.

Comment

Working...
                  X