X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on "kdeplasma-addons" vs. "extragear-plasma"

Hello,

In looking through the packages available via Adept, I came across the "extragear-plasma" package (and associated packages). Its description reads:

extras for the desktop and panel user interface tool for KDE4

extragear-plasma provides additional plasma components like widgets or data engines which are not shipped with kdebase.
    So, thinking a package with additional widgets would be interesting, I selected "request install". I noticed that, when I did so, it tried to remove the "kdeplasma-addons" package (and associated packages), whose description reads:

plasmoids for KDE 4 Plasma - main package

KDE Plasmoids module is a collection of additional Plasma data engines and widgets (applets). It is part of the official KDE 4 distribution.

This package contains Plasma data engines and widgets (applets). Install this package if you want to use plasmoids from the KDE Plasmoids module.
    Canceling the change to the latter automatically cancels the installation request of the former, so having both simultaneously seems out of the question.

What are the actual differences between them?
    Can Plasma (and/or KDE4) work without the "kdeplasma-addons" package(s) if the "extragear-plasma" package(s) take their place?
    Of the two, which is the more worthwhile to have?
    Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Re: Questions on &quot;kdeplasma-addons&quot; vs. &quot;extragear-plasma&quot;

extragear-plasma is a legacy package (for KDE 4.0.1)...and it probably has nothing that isn't it kdeplasma-addons.

Comment

Re: Questions on &quot;kdeplasma-addons&quot; vs. &quot;extragear-plasma&quot;

Thanks!
      Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A205-S4607<br />OS: Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), Windows Vista Home Premium (SP 2)

Comment

Working...
      X