This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Information ...

Hi..I would like some more information about Something I did not understand. I am Utilizing Kubuntu 8.04 with a kde3.5 and 4, with a Repository PPA.

But I`ve got a doubt..If I don`t want to install and update the new Interprid,will my Kubuntu KDE4 always be updated with that repository or these updates will end at the end of 2009?
    Thank you for your time.

^^

Re: Information ...

If you choose to stay with 8.04 (with either KDE 3.5.x or 4.x) you will still receive updates after 2009, just likely not as many, and not as frequently.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The kubuntu packaging ninjas will keep updating kde4 for Hardy for a while still, exactly how long I couldn't tell you at the moment

Comment

So is repository deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main going to expire?
        Can I use 8.04 with both of them without updating Intrepid?

Comment

Originally posted by Takeda
          So is repository deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-members-kde4/ubuntu hardy main going to expire?...
          It has already expired (from a certain point of view), as there is no nvidia-glx-177 available (i.e. it is even now not as current as the unreleased intrepid).

Edit: Although to be clear, that nvidia driver is in restricted, not main.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab

It has already expired (from a certain point of view), as there is no nvidia-glx-177 available (i.e. it is even now not as current as the unreleased intrepid).

Edit: Although to be clear, that nvidia driver is in restricted, not main.
            ok. but if it just expires, they will exit new repository for kubuntu 8.04 with kde4?
            or will it always be this?

Comment

sorry, but I've not understand how the invidia-glx are connected with the repository for kubuntu-kde4

Comment

Originally posted by Takeda

sorry, but I've not understand how the invidia-glx are connected with the repository for kubuntu-kde4
                Yeah, sorry. That was a little off-topic I guess... my point was that even the Canonical Hardy repos are not being maintained for all new packages... sorry for confusing the matter.

Edit: I thought I was making a relevant point to the thread... but, really, it was more of a frustrated rant... please ignore my posts here. Thanks.

Comment

In Ubuntu, there are never new versions of anything in a particular release, other than security fixes. (firefox in Hardy was of course an exception to that rule). so outside of these, they never have maintained their repos for new stuff.

The backports repositories are available for newer app versions. This repository is basically taking newer programs from, say, intrepid and repackaging them for Hardy if it is possible without breaking your system. So you won't see new kernels, core libs, xorg and the like.

Comment

Working...
                  X