This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

msword icon (doc) is "?" [SOLVED]

So I have been hoping for an answer over time to this small annoyance. I have been using kde4 since 7.10.

*.doc still shows up as a "?" icon in dolphin. There is no way to change the icon for this mimetype, at least by using any graphical tool like dolphin or konqueror.

I just want to open a folder and see openoffice writer icons or something for this mimetype.

Re: msword icon (doc)

Just a thought, but have you tried right-clicking on one, select ->Properties then left-clicking on the spanner icon on the right side of the info box which pops up, and then left-clicking on the icon selector (on the left side of the next info box which pops up) and selecting something else?

It may work...

Comment

Re: msword icon (doc)

I found the issue and fixed it: the icon referenced in Oxygen's configuration for the mimetype *.doc is application-msword.svgz; however, the icon that exists in the /usr/lib/kde4/share/icons/oxygen/ folders for various sizes for the icons is application-vnd.ms-word.svgz so based on a reply to the issue in ubuntu forums, I symlinked them all using ln -s application-vnd.ms-word.svgz application-msword.svgz in each directory. I created a script that a person can run as root to fix this so it isn't as tedious. I had to attach it as a *.txt document, so name it what you like, make it executable, and run it as root: it will fix each directory. When you log out, and back in, *.doc files will show up with the intended icon. Actually, you don't need to log out, but when you hover the cursor over any *.doc, it switches from "?" to the linked icon permanently.

I would assume however that if the oxygen package upgrades, you may need to run the script again if this is not fixed in further updates.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X