This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto mount stuff

I have looked for this information a number of places, but have not had any luck. I am probably using the incorrect terminology

Anyone know if you can have a partition mount automatically at start up under a non super user account? I always have to open Dolphin, click on the drive icon and enter my password.

I have a similar problem with the WIFI on my laptop. I always have to click on the connection and enter my password to start it. I would like to just open Fire Fox and go.

There must be a way to give specific users automatic access to these things.

Any help would be Appreciated

Dale

Re: Auto mount stuff

I am running into the same problem as you. A bug has been filed with the KDE team, so hopefully they will address it in a future release.

In the meantime, a drive will automount if you add an entry for it in /etc/fstab. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty under the hood of your system, here are the instructions.

The only problem that I've run into with this method is that if I want to remove the drive while the PC is on, I have to do it as root (sudo umount /media/flash, for example).

Comment

Re: Auto mount stuff

Originally posted by Jook_roberts

Anyone know if you can have a partition mount automatically at start up under a non super user account? I always have to open Dolphin, click on the drive icon and enter my password.

#15 in the FAQs linked in my signature has guidance on this. After the partition is set up in /etc/fstab, you'll want to make appropriate directories or "folders" on it, in root mode, and then you can change the permissions on the directories to the user group and/or user, if it's a single user system.

Comment

Working...
      X