This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clone to SSD: Kubuntu hangs on boot screen

I cloned a dual boot setup of WinXP and Kubuntu 8.04 to a Solid State Disk of the the same size, using Acronis True Image Home 2012 Disk Clone feature. That went well so far as the Grub menu shows up, WinXP does boot,
    BUT Kubuntu shows the Welcome Screen and then hangs showing the progress bar bouncing left and right...
    please wait ... Loading system

It seems that ATIH2012 has re-aligned the partitions to make the SSD happy, but also confused Grub.
    How would you recommend to fix this?

Thanks for your help.
    LoPhi

Re: Clone to SSD: Kubuntu hangs on boot screen

Originally posted by lophiomys
    It seems that ATIH2012 has re-aligned the partitions to make the SSD happy, but also confused Grub.
    Nah - that ain't it. grub has passed control to the OS as the welcome screen is read from the mounted root partition.

As soon as grub starts hold down the shift key to get a grub menu and try to boot the thing in recovery mode - maybe that'll give you some idea where the process is hanging.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

did u update the /etc/fstab with the new UUID's for the partitons? that would certanly cause i a problem on boot if you didnt
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

thanks for the hints.
        the one with fstab was especially promising
        I cant verify it anymore as I tried a different clone method (restore a backup instead of cloning) a few seconds ago.
        But problably I will run into the same problem with the restored backup.

Before I tried the RescaTux CD to "update GRUB", which updated GRUB sucessfully but didnt solve it either.

hacking along ....
        LoPhi

Comment

Guys,
          It was Acronis True Image Home 2012, which was fooling me.
          Dont use its Clone Disk feature, just do a normal backup and restore. Booting in XP and Kubuntu 8.04 works now.
          I future I will use somethig else then ATIH2012.
          Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X