Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can not upgrade to any kernel after 2.6.24_27_generic can you help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can not upgrade to any kernel after 2.6.24_27_generic can you help?

Hello:

In an old machine I have kubuntu 8.04.4 LTS running with the 2.6.24-27 generic kernel. After doing some of the automatic updates to the machine I can not get into kubuntu with a newer kernel than this one. Anybody can help me?

Re: I can not upgrade to any kernel after 2.6.24_27_generic can you help?

Can you clarify please? Are you saying that after an update a newer kernel (newer than 2.6.24-27) was installed, but you can not boot into it?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, that's what I mean. Thanks for making it clearer.

Comment

You need to tell us what actually happens - what do you see when you select the new kernel to boot into? Also, what video card/chip set do you have in your PC?

Comment

The machine is a dell optiplex gx 260. The display adapter is a Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller. Memory size of display adapter: 64 MB.

The machine runs a Pentium4 2.26 GHz with 512 MB ram

What happens: When the machine tries to load a newer kernel, the screen goes to black and the blue login screen never appears.

Comment

Are you able to boot into the previous kernel? If yes, from the Desktop open a console and type:
            Code:
            df -h
            Copy and paste the output.

Comment

Code:
              Filesystem      Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
              /host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk
                         8.4G 3.6G 4.4G 46% /
              varrun        251M 156K 251M  1% /var/run
              varlock        251M   0 251M  0% /var/lock
              udev         251M  44K 251M  1% /dev
              devshm        251M   0 251M  0% /dev/shm
              lrm          251M  40M 212M 16% /lib/modules/2.6.24-27-generic/volat      ile

Please note: I am running kubuntu from inside of windows (in case its important)

Comment

8.04 LTS was only supported until 12th May 2011. It is now over three years old. There was another LTS. 10.04. The latest issue is 11.04.
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Where it is a Wubi install (inside windows) perhaps the wubi part is not compatible with the newer kernels. btw, though 8.04 LTS is past end-of-life, there still have been recent kernel updates as the server version of 8.04 still has support for a bit.

Unless there is any compelling reason, I suggest staying with the last working kernel if you don't care to upgrade or install a newer version

Comment

Thanks for the help. I know that I can upgrade. What happens is that when I did that the computer was so slow that I was not able to work with.

Comment

probably the combination on a Wubi setup (a little slower than a normal install to begin with) plus your ram being in the low side for the new KDE, I'd wager.

I don't know why the new kenrels don't give you a gui, other than perhaps the video drivers not being updated as well for these kernels - as desktop support is now ended, but kernel support for the server (non-gui) still continues. Just a guess on this, though.

Comment

Working...
                      X