This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.04 to 10.04

Hi, I just wanted some advice here. I am looking to upgrade an 8.04 system to 10.04. I thought I could do this directly (LTS), but it turns out that that is only with ubuntu, not kubuntu, I only recently found out. So my main option then seems to be to upgrade first to 9.10, then to 10.04. However, I read something about "renewing" an installation without formatting which would not harm the data in my /home. However it didn't say how to do this. Would it be part of the normal LiveCD installation procedure, but picking a different option at the partition step? Or is it something else?

And if this is an option, would it not be better, certainly quicker, to do that instead, since I could just go right to 10.04? I realize that this way would mean I'd have to reinstall software, but then I'm moving from KDE3-4, so I'd be doing that anyway, right?

I'm just wondering which way to go here. Oh, and I am not looking to reformat as backing up everything on that partition would be a much bigger job than I really have time for. Thanks!
    -Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music.

Re: 8.04 to 10.04

A direct upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04 isn't possible. You can, as you posted, upgrade sequentially - 8.04 to 9.04 to 9.10 to 10.04, but you likely will experience problems doing so. With your current installation being so far behind 10.04, you would be better off just doing a fresh install of 10.04. If you have a separate partition for /home, then this is (relatively) painless. If however, you have your users /home on the same partition as root, then you will want [read:need] to backup that directory (and all it's sub-directories, files and hidden files) before you install 10.04.

Tell us about your current system configuration.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry Snowhog, but it might be possible! (Sorry!..Sorry!..)

I often visit one blog "Click" at http://www.insidesocal.com/click/ (Perhaps it's solidarity with a guy using old, underpowered machines)

Look carefully at
      1) "Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 upgrade fails" - http://www.insidesocal.com/click/201...grade-fai.html
      2) "Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 - reader provides the 'right' switch, but why is this even an issue?" - http://www.insidesocal.com/click/201...reader-pr.html
      and
      3) "Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04 upgrade: I'm in the final 20 minutes"

But backup, backup, backup in case it doesn't work.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Ok. It's an older Athlon system. Two hard drives: one 75 GB with WinXP on it. The other is 250 GB, divided into two partitions, both around 115 GB each; one is vfat I use for data storage, the other is my Kubuntu 8.04. Then theres the little swap partition too of course. My /home is on the Kubuntu partition because I didn't want to try guessing how much space I'd need on them to separate them. Maybe not the best choice, but I'm kinda stuck with it now.

All three parts are usually within 1-5 GB of being full as I regularly fill them up and then burn stuff to a DVD. Thus, backing up 110 GB with only a DVD burner would take a lot of time and DVDs, so I'd really prefer to not even consider that.

So far the instructions I've seen for upgrading 8.04 tell me that I can go straight to 9.10, and then to 10.04. That's not as bad as four (or three) upgrades, but if I can do it in one somehow (even if it's this "renew" thing), that'd be better, provided there are no downfalls.

Thanks for your reply!

Comment

So are these my only two options then, either back everything up with 20+ dvds, or risk it all?

Comment

Perhaps it would be prudent to check with the live CD to make sure that 10.04 will run on your machine. I was unable to go to 10.04 on one machine which caused me many days of Googling. I couldn't fix the problem but my searching revealed many other people who couldn't either. So be careful if you want to avoid work.

So are these my only two options then, either back everything up with 20+ dvds, or risk it all?
            I would add a 3rd. On my main machine I run 8.04 and it runs very well. So, from my perspective, another option is to leave what works.

Comment

Working...
            X