This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED: 8.04 on Thinkpad 600E: Boot hangs - filesystem stuck in read-only

I installed 8.04 on an old Thinkpad 600E. The install seemed to go OK. When I tried booting, it hung. Tried again in recovery mode, and got messages indicating that it was unable to write any files due to the filesystem being read-only. Went into a command shell and did an "ls -l /" to look at the top-level directories; sure enough, everything had "rwxr-xr-x" set. Tried (in sudo) to change one to "rwxrwxrwx" - no luck. Tried in my home dir to copy a file - couldn't create the copy.

I know that in boot the filesystem is initially set read-only so fsck can run, then it should be set to read-write. Evidently that isn't happening.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

UPDATED 29Jan2010: Did some searches and noted that a few people have had problems with removing a PCMCIA card during the installation. I remembered that I had done just that. So went and re-installed; this time it booted and it's working now, downloading all the updates to Hardy.

Seems that everyone who has installed (K)Ubuntu on a 600E has had to change the sound-card driver and also do various things to configure the wireless. That's my next step.

Re: SOLVED: 8.04 on Thinkpad 600E: Boot hangs - filesystem stuck in read-only

Thanks for the update! Any reason why you preferred 8.04? Kubuntu 10.04 is 2 years ahead, and also a long term release. I guess you prefer KDE3? Otherwise, you should be better off with Karmic I think ...

Comment

I wanted to stick with the current LTS release (8.04 at the time). I've downloaded 10.04 and am checking it out.

One problem re the 600E is that nothing past 6.06 seems to have the right driver setup for the sound.

- dhfx

Comment

You are aware, yes, that Kubuntu 8.04 is not an LTS. Ubuntu 8.04 was.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X