This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't boot 8.04 & can't access computer

Kubuntu 8.04 running on Dell Dimension XPST850. Problems began when I plugged in a Maxtor one touch external hard drive. I lost ability to use the CD drives. Made changes to FSTAB to try to correct this problem and ended up with a machine that fails to boot. It starts loading Kubuntu, and the bar goes about 20% of the way, and then I get repeated messages:
    "/etc/init.d/rc: 317: sed: permission denied" followed by one message:
    "init: unable to execute "bin/sh" for re-default: permission denied" and one message:
    "init: rc-defaul mainprocess (3958) terminated with status 255"

Since I am unable to use the CD drives (including an external one I happen to have), and the machine's BIOS apparently will not allow booting from a USB drive,

I'm at a loss on how to proceed. Perhaps install a new (internal) hard drive? Any suggestions welcome.

I have acquired an IBM ThinkPad T21 which I have set up with 8.10. Is there any way of connecting the two machines so I can at least recover files from the unbootable machine?
    Thanks,
    Gene R.

Re: can't boot 8.04 & can't access computer

I can't recall ever having this problem. I googled and found several matches. You can read some and see if it matches your issues. Sorry of not being more helpful. Just don't want to leave you without a response.

If you edit your grub and on the linux line, add single. It should hopefully boot into recovery mode. Is so then you can investigate the errors. Or do you have the Recovery menu?
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
    X