This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with resolution

i have two partitions on my computer, windows xp and kubuntu 8.04. a few days ago i bought a new monitor and adjusted the resolution in kubuntu to 1024Xxxx. it all worked fine, until today i went to xp, changed the resolution (which was 840Xxxx) to 1024. when i rebooted, suddenly kubuntu has a resolution (in fact, right now) of 640Xxxx, which cant be changed. the other options, ranging up to 1280 are gone. i ****ing hate this. it all worked fine. i have no idea if theres a possibility of the other partition interfering with the other ( i guess not?) my graphic card is sis real 256 e.

any suggestions? i feel like visual hanidcapped.

greetings

Re: Problem with resolution

I don't imagine it was changing setting in XP that caused this problem. I have fixed this problem by plugging another monitor into my computer. It detected new resolutions and then I switched the monitors back. This is not the optimal solution, but worked for me before.

You can manually set your resolution by editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. You will need to do this as super user.

In a terminal type kdesudo kate or ksudo kate (I don't remember which one works) and open the above file to edit it file in kate.
    (keep a backup of this file before you change it.)

Here is an example where someone has done that. I am know there are better examples if you search this forum.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3090634.0

Comment

thank you- i will try to plug in my old monitor as i dont want to mess with the system. i am not good at that, trust me :-)
      the funny thing is, that it worked just fine. ah well.

this was a very fast answer - i really thank you for that

greetings

Comment

I solved it! If you have similar problems: Boot Kubuntu in recovery mode and run "xfix". that solved the problem for me.

Comment

Your msg is the second one I've read today refering to "xfix" to fix a display problem.

"xfix" is not on my 64b KK nor is it in the repository.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Your msg is the second one I've read today refering to "xfix" to fix a display problem.

"xfix" is not on my 64b KK nor is it in the repository.
            xfix is a script that will basically reconfigure the xserver, it's available as a menu option when booting into recovery mode if 'friendly-recovery' package is installed.

Comment

Thanks!

Ya learn something everyday!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Xfix cool. I am adding the friendly-recovery

Thanks

Comment

Hello all,

Has anyone else had trouble with once you use xfix to repair the xorg file and correct the resolution and then reboot you go right back to the 640 screen size and have to run xfix again? As long as I don't shut my system down I can stay at the correct resolution. There has to be a way to save the new setting to default does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

James

Comment

Try the boot option "xforcevesa". See #2 in the FAQs in my signature for details on how to enter the boot option, if you don't happen to know. If it works, you can edit the grub menu to add it permanently.

Comment

Working...
                    X