This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Grub Error 18

Okay. So I sort of got away from this with the Holidaze and all. But I thought I'd update everyone. I edited my menu file from grub on sda5 to include a startup for sda7. Then I did sudo Grub and tried those commands

grub>root (hd0,4)
    grub>setup (hd0)
    grub>quit

setup did not work. It gave me an error... which I wrote down somewhere... but sorry I can't find it. I tried
    grub>root (hd0,6)
    grub>setup (hd0)

and
    grub>root (hd0,5)
    grub>setup (hd0)

just to be sure. Tried em all twice. Still got some failure note.

Okay - so then I downloaded SuperGrubDisk. Burnt to a CD etc. Ran that - read some help menu text...

First hit Gnu/Linux
    then Fix Boot of Linux

It shows on the screen that it is doing grub commands and bingo - says Grub successfully installed... I am guessing I must have screwed up my partition counting but?? Just don't know.

So now - I get a Grub menu and Win7 and LinuxMCE boot. My extra install of Kubuntu still gives me a Grub Error 18.

I am guessing that is probably proof that I would need to do a Bios update to solve this one?

Any other thoughts?

If anyone is reading this to learn from it - I would say that the SuperGrubDisk is really easy. I would say though it is probably really powerful and if it didn't work for me (somehow magically??) it may have messed up my boot even further?

Anyway - thank for all the help.

Frank

Comment

Working...
    X