X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE from Hardy to Jaunty

Hello all,

I am a Ubuntu Hardy8.04 LTS user and installed in Hardy the KDE (version 3) to try. It is said that the newer version of KDE is a lot better.Now KDE Hardy gives mee the possibility to upgrade from Hardy to Jaunty in just one step (Very good!). In Ubuntu you have to do this via version 8.10 and then to 9.04.

Does this mean that after the KDE upgrade my Ubuntu version is also upgraded from Hardy to Jaunty? This does not give any problems?

Best regards,
    Frits

Re: KDE from Hardy to Jaunty

Yes, your KDE version will be upgraded from the one on Hardy to the latest stable version available on Jaunty. (K)Ubuntu's engineers have worked hard to make the upgrade processes as smooth and issue-less as possible, so you shouldn't have any problems; just take your time, follow the directions step-by-step, and let us know if you have any trouble.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks for your information.

What does it mean for my Ubuntu Hardy 8.04? Is it upgraded too to 9.04?

Comment

Yes; if it is part of the same installation, it will be upgraded too.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Hmmmm...... I will sleep some nights about it. I hope there are forum members here who have experience with this move. Would like to hear from them.

Best regards, Frits

Comment

If Ubuntu is wanting an intermediate step between 8.04 and 9.04, it might be better to go that route, in case there are changes in formats for configuration files that are only addressed in one of the steps. It will obviously take longer, but it's probably less likely to break something in the process.

Comment

You have a point there. On the other hand it is also known that 8.10 sucks, that's why i am interested in this move.

Comment

There is quite a difference between Hardy (3.5) and Jaunty (4.x), one way to find out if you prefer Jaunty would be to download the CD .iso and try it out, and if you like it, install it - rather than risk an upgrade you may regret....

Comment

Good tip! Will try and come back here.

Comment

Tried the Live CD. Started up, after choosing language install started and after some time just a DOS like screen turned up with some information about root en administrator rights. Only way to stop was to push the on-of button.

Comment

Did you download the Live CD or the Alternate CD? The Live CD will boot into a graphical KDE environment where you can play with KDE 4, whereas the Alternate CD is a Curses-based, command line installer designed to let experienced users install Kubuntu quickly.
                      Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

It is the Desktopversion.

Edit: Checked it on my old laptop, Live CD works fine.

Comment

Ok, lets go for it.
                          Started teh upgrade via KDE 3. Let's see what happens.

Comment

BINGO!!

KDE is updated and Ubuntu also to Jaunty 9.04. Works fine!

Thanks for the support.

Comment

That's Good News.

Comment

Working...
                              X