This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Kubuntu 8.04 w/problems

I installed Kubuntu 8.04 and was unable to connect to the internet or install any packages there were no packages available?? I am dual booting with Vista basic first and then Kubuntu.

I uninstalled Kubuntu and reinstalled Vista Bootloader. Here is the confusing part, I took a look at my hard drive:

Blue
    (C 55.77 GB NTFS
    Healthy ( system boot, Page file, active, crash dump, primary partition)

Green
    Free Space 17.93 GB (I created this partition for Kubuntu 8.04)

Blue W/Lines
    847 MB Healthy (Primary Partition) I have no idea what this partition is for??

could it possibly be that not all of Kubuntu got installed I had all the basic functions basically KDE applications? your help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
    Pinky Gifford

Re: Installed Kubuntu 8.04 w/problems

Are you trying to set up a dual-boot system? If so, did you set up the partitions manually?
    If you are setting up a dual-boot with Windows, the first thing you want to do is defrag your Windows OS a few times to get it as clean as possible. I usually run it 3 times. You will then have to do a manual partitioning of the drive to install Kubuntu. Remember you have to create the / partition to boot from and a Swap partition.
    I actually like to use Gparted for this process. Defrag Windows, boot up Gparted and shrink the Windows partition to the size you want. Then boot Kubuntu Live CD and install Kubuntu on the empty partition you created.
    &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Re: Installed Kubuntu 8.04 w/problems

18 gB should be plenty for a linux distro plus all of your personal "stuff". I'm using 13 gB with both KDE and Gnome and a lot of ancient pop music originally ripped from vinyl 33's and 45's. This does NOT necessarily mean that your Kubuntu installation went properly.

There are a couple of possibilities for the 847 MB partition. Some computer manufacturers load a hidden "recovery" partition with diagnostic software to save time when you call for tech support. Or, it might be a (small) swap partition or it may be your windoze bootloader (depending on where it is).

I would check out this page and especially the other pages that it references at the Ubuntu Community Help Wiki, to verify that your Kubuntu installation went properly.

Comment

Working...
      X