This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second HD not mounted?

Now, this one, I don't want to tackle, but I must! Following (excellent!) advice from this board,(dibl) I recently rebuilt my KDE folder, and have been delighted with the result...............................except....... ...................................since then I have a problem with managing files etc, on my second HDD! I noticed when I tried to simply delete a folder from it, I was not permitted apparently, therefore I "opened as root" whereupon I was presented with 2, (yes, two) windows, both declaring that the drive/path/file etc did not exist!! - Now, the drive clearly exists, so I checked in "K">System Settings>Advanced>Disk & Filesystems, where I was presented with info regarding the drives etc, and was surprised to see that the drive/partitions et al in question was "disabled". Now I am not a confident soul when it comes to my drives/data, and the stated drive is the one with all my precious files on, therefore, I can't take chances with it at all. So any advice, please keep it simple, and don't ask me to do anything that will compromise my valuable files!!.....

Re: Second HD not mounted?

Well, since one piece of help actually worked, I guess I'll try for a double!

There may be multiple issues there, but for starters let's see the output of these two commands:

Code:
    fdisk -lu
    and

Code:
    sudo blkid
    Also, please post your /etc/fstab file with the above outputs.

Comment

Hi dibl, thanks for noticing me again --------- here's the output for the second command:

/dev/sda1: UUID="48be0588-b02c-456c-971a-c0c88a610083" TYPE="ext3"
      /dev/sda5: TYPE="swap" UUID="5a7c74ea-5b78-400a-8f2d-82484445b177"
      /dev/sdb1: UUID="5ba9a036-dccc-4aec-9226-2903af3451a4" TYPE="ext2"

The first produced zilch!! (not literally!)

Comment

Also, here ya go:-

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
        #
        <file system> <mount point>&#160; <type>&#160; <options>&#160; &#160; &#160; <dump>&#160; <pass>
        proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
        # /dev/sda1
        UUID=48be0588-b02c-456c-971a-c0c88a610083 / ext3 owner,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
        # /dev/sda5
        UUID=5a7c74ea-5b78-400a-8f2d-82484445b177 none swap sw 0 0
        /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
        /dev/sdb2 <mount\040point> auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        /dev/sdb2 <mount\040point> auto nouser,noauto,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
        /dev/sdb1 <mount\040point> auto nouser,noauto,atime,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

Comment

Yep, your /etc/fstab file has multiple problems with the /dev/sdb mounts. According to blkid there is only a single partition on /dev/sdb -- is that correct? Because /etc/fstab is trying to mount two partitions. Did fdisk -lu also show only a single partition on the /dev/sdb drive?

I'll assume there is only a single partition on /dev/sdb. First, you need to make a mount point in /media. Let's say you decide to call it "MUSIC". So, here is how to make it with a Konsole command:
          Code:
          sudo mkdir /media/MUSIC
          Next, you need to edit /etc/fstab with kate in super user mode. So, Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate /etc/fstab" with no quote marks. Red edits show where you need to fix things:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
          proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
          # /dev/sda1
          UUID=48be0588-b02c-456c-971a-c0c88a610083 / ext3 owner,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
          # /dev/sda5
          UUID=5a7c74ea-5b78-400a-8f2d-82484445b177 none swap sw 0 0
          /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
          /dev/scd1 /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
          /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
          # /dev/sdb2 /media/MUSIC auto nouser,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
          # /dev/sdb2 <mount\040point> auto nouser,noauto,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
          /dev/sdb1 <mount\040point> /media/MUSIC ext2 auto nouser,noauto,atime,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0 auto,users,rw,exec,noatime 0 2
          Of course you can substitute any name you like for "MUSIC" -- that is just for example.

Save the edited fstab file, then reboot your system and let's see what you get.

Comment

Okay my friend! Here is the result of the "sudo fdisk -lu" command:-

Disk /dev/sda: 81.9 GB, 81964302336 bytes
            255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9964 cylinders, total 160086528 sectors
            Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
            Disk identifier: 0xebbcebbc

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
            /dev/sda1 * 63 157067504 78533721 83 Linux
            /dev/sda2 157067505 160071659 1502077+ 5 Extended
            /dev/sda5 157067568 160071659 1502046 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
            255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
            Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
            Disk identifier: 0x56558c65

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
            /dev/sdb1 * 63 301941674 150970806 83 Linux
            /dev/sdb2 301941675 312576704 5317515 5 Extended

It seems to have worked, but I still can't delete the file I was wanting to

Comment

Hmmm. You say "worked" -- does that mean the second drive is automatically mounting at boot, and you can open /media/MUSIC (or whatever you named it) and see the contents?

OK, there's still some weirdness with your second drive's setup. fdisk is showing that it does indeed have a second partition, of the extended variety, but it appears to be a very small one -- what the heck is that all about? Also, you have the "boot flag" set on both hard drives -- which one are you actually booting from?

As far as your user's permission, if you are the only user on that computer (similar to my setup) what I normally do is open Konqueror in super user mode:

Alt-F2 "kdesudo konqueror" with no quote marks, and then browse to the partition in /media, right-click it and choose "properties > permissions" and then set the permission to "read, write, and execute" for my user and group. Don't forget to "x" the little box that says "apply to subdirectories and files".

Comment

Uh-oh -> "kdesudo konqueror" > No Items - No files - No Folders!!

Incidentally, I use Dolphin.................

And, No..........."does that mean the second drive is automatically mounting at boot, and you can open /media/MUSIC (or whatever you named it) and see the contents?"...........although I can "see" the drive and contents, (It's an old windows drive!)

Comment

I think you can do the same thing with Dolphin. But, in Konqueror, you can put /media in the URL window and it will show the contents of /media, and then you can click on the folder that represents that drive.

I noticed /dev/sdb says it is ext2 format. Did you pick that deliberately? Most folks use ext3. For 9.04 and later, you can use ext4 if you're feeling adventuresome -- I haven't broken it yet.

Comment

Ah dear dibl, this just gets weirder!! When I open Konqueror via "kdesudo konqueror" I get the aforementioned "No Items - No files - No Folders" but if I open it via "K>Internet>" I don't!! WTH! Also, I previously, (before KDE rebuild) had the icons for both drives and unmounted floppy enabled on my desktop, (a la windows) and now it seems I can't do that?? Again -- WTH!!

Comment

Hey Jake!

Well, hmmm. I know that having the /media devices shown on your desktop was feasible and popular in KDE 3.5, but I've lost track of exactly how to do that. I think you could open it in Konqueror and then copy/paste them onto your desktop, right?

As far as the behavior of "kdesudo konqueror" on your system, it doesn't sound right. If you open it via the K menu, you're not opening it as the super user, so you're not going to be able to change the permissions on any folders. There is another file manager, Krusader, that I used to use for this type of thing -- maybe you'd like to install it and try it. It looks a lot like the old Windows 3 File Explorer. It installs two copies, one is a red "root" Krusader, in KMenu>System, and one is a blue "user" Krusader in Kmenu>utilities (if memory serves). With the red root Krusader, you could certainly browse to your media folders and change the permissions as needed.

Comment

(sigh....) In Dolphin - system:/media/ my second drive sdb1 states "Type: Unknown - Size: 0 B - Modified:

Label (I Think) is 154G Media. It is my second drive and it is purely for storage, (although I would feasably partition it and add perhaps Ubuntu test versions etc - you know what I mean) it was used for the same on a previous windows installation. My main, (boot) drive is labelled: "80G Media" and Dolphin also states "Type: Unknown and Size: 0 B - Modified:

I don't like messing with my drives, It makes me nervous... I do, however, trust your superior knowledge and therefore trust your instruction. I value your help, but please be aware that the files on my storage drive are very, very important and there are no copies!!

I don't understand the ext2/3/4 thing. Can I change it without destroying anything? I may have messed things up when I installed the original (K)Ubuntu, (my version is 8.04) but now I have help....................

Comment

OK, the more important your data, the more careful we need to be with it.

Never mind the ext2 thing, for now. It is a less robust filesystem, due to the lack of journalling, but it is what is is, and you should let it be for the moment. Note to yourself: arrange a suitable-sized ext3 partition on a different drive, and copy the important data over to that partition, at the soonest possible time.

OK, back to Konqueror. You say when you open it with "kdesudo konqueror", you get "no nothing". But, did you try putting "/media" in the URL window, and hit Enter?

Comment

-"But, did you try putting "/media" in the URL window, and hit Enter?" Well.....no, but i did now!!....

Comment

OK, I guess we need to do a couple of experiments to see what the heck is going on there.

Open a Konsole window and do
                              Code:
                              sudo mount
                              and since you've edited /etc/fstab, we'd better have another look at the output of
                              Code:
                              sudo fdisk -lu

Comment

Working...
                              X