Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: System Dead after updates (or upgrade)

As for the graphics: do you ever get to the KDE splash screen or do you just get the kubuntu one before you are thrown into command line?

I had this graphics driver issue and in my case I had the kubuntu splash screen on start up, but when it tried to load the Xserver I only got garbage on the screen (curiously enough, the mouse pointer was there, in the shape of an "x").
    If you get the KDE splash screen (and the proper login screen in the first place), that means Xserver is running and it is not a graphics problem.

You can check whether your graphics chip is supported on the ATI website. My card is only 2 years old and is no longer supported...

As for internet: when you start the command line from grub (i.e. press esc on startup) you can select console/terminal/command line (whatever it is called) and the same with networking. Select the command line with networking and then you should be fine. Generally I would not expect that to work with WLAN, so get a wired connection.
    But as liquidator says, you should have internet from a wired connection already.

Of course you can't get any GUI applications from the command line, but you can update packages with apt-get.

In case your Xserver is working and you get to the login screen where you can, for example select the desktop you want, it's probably a KDE problem.
    You can test that by installing a lightweight desktop environment (like 'icewm') and starting that - if it works you might consider removing and reinstalling KDE completely.
    You can install icewm from the command line with apt-get
    Code:

apt-get install -s icewm
    (the '-s' is for a dry simulation run to see if there are conflicts; remove it if you are actually installing it)
    I recommend having a lightweight desktop installed as a backup anyway, in case KDE breaks (happened to me before). So you can at least use a web browser and email (and actually everything else, only it does not look so pretty).

Also, did you have any non-standard/experimental repositories in your sources.list (the repository file of apt-get; '/etc/apt/sources.list')? This caused some conflicts, when I upgraded...

Comment

none really, how can i verify that i am on line..... i have a wired connection....

Comment

Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        If you can connect to repositories and the update goes smooth, you are online. Otherwise apt-get will spit a lot of error messages, saying it can't connect to repositories.

Comment

failed to fetch..... could not resolve "security.ubuntu.com"

Comment

i can see kde for a fraction of a second (exactly as I had before the upgrade), before commandline and prompt.........

Comment

I'm assuming this "failed to resolve ..." happens with all repos... that indicates you are offline...

What kind of internet connection do you have?

Maybe it works, if you go into the terminal from grub, choosing the option with network drivers.

So, do you get the login screen where you can choose, e.g. KDE, terminal, last session, default, or something like that?

Do you get any error messages, or do you have anything on the screen when you log in to the console?

Comment

i can not select anything more than "esc" at boot, and then selecting which version i will do a recover boot from, none is working I have tried most options!

the network is ADSL connection.

Any ideas?

Comment

do you have access to a corporate network or university network? These usually work like "plug'n'play".

Do you have a router? maybe you try to set as much to automatic as you can... do you have any rules or firewall settings or what ever enabled?
                  As I remember ADSL also usually works as smoothly with cable/LAN.

so when you can only get into the terminal through grub, how do you see KDE You say you can not get into the terminal from the login window, as liquidator suggested earlier?

You are aware that there are different splash screens for kubuntu (first) and KDE (after login)?

Comment

Working...
                  X