Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stuck - won't see CDROM, network, mouse, only sees keyboard some of the time...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: stuck - won't see CDROM, network, mouse, only sees keyboard some of the time...

i can pipe the output through tee, but i have no way to get it from my linux box to my mac, which is where i'm posting this... :P
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Comment

Re: stuck - won't see CDROM, network, mouse, only sees keyboard some of the time...

OK. If you have an ssh server set up on your Mac you could try to scp purge.txt mac: but what I really need to see is probably the first 20 or so lines. After you save it you should be able to open it with less purge.txt and it will show you the first page. It will probably say something like dpkg configure failed in pre rm for /var/cache/apt/archives ...

If you can make some sense of it or type me the essentials we can look at it. It might be a shell script that is failing so it might have a message about that.

Comment

the first 20 or so lines are as follows:

reading package lists
        building dependency tree
        reading state information
        reading extended state information
        initializing package states
        writing extended state information

then it says:

The following databases are BROKEN:
        kdebase-bin kdebase-runtime konqueror libqca2 libstrigiqtdbuscliet0 python-qt4-dbus speedcrunch

The following packages will be REMOVED:
        kdegames-mahjongg-data-kde4{u} libeet1{u} libplasma3{u} libpoppler-qt4-3{u} libqca2-plugin-oss1{u} libqedje0{u} libqt4-core{ap} libqzion0{u} librasqa10{u} libspectre1{u}

The following partially installed packages will be configured:
        dolphin kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 kdm kmail libkdepim4 libkleo4 kibkonq5 libkphp4 libksieve4 kibmimelib4

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 10 to reove and 698 not upgraded.

Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 12.1MB will be freed.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
        libstrigiqudbusclient0: Depends: libqt4-core (>= 4.3.3) but is not installable
        libqca2: Depends: libqt4-core (>= 4.3.2) but it is not installable
        kdebase-runtime: Depends: kdebase-runtime-data (>= 4:4.2.2-0ubuntu1) but it is not installable
        python-qt4-dbus: Depends: libqt4-core (>= 4.3.4) but it is not installable
        kdebase-bin: Depends: kdebase-data (= 4:4.2.2-0ubuntu4) but it is not installable
        speedcrunch: Depends: libqt4-core (>= 4.3.3) but it is not installable
        konqueror: Depends: kdebase-data (>= 4:4.2.2-0ubuntu4) but it is not installable

The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Remove the following packages:
        hplip-gui
        python-qt4-dbus
        system-config-printer-kde

Install the following packages:
        kdebase-data [4:4.2.2-0ubuntu4 (jaunty)]
        kdebase-runtime-data [4:4.2.2-0ubuntu1 (jaunty)]

Upgrade the following packages:
        libqca2 [2.0.0-3 (now) -> 2.0.0-4 (jaunty)]
        libstrigiqtdbusclient0 [0.5.7-2 (now) -> 0.6.4-0ubuntu2 (jaunty)]
        speedcrunch [0.9-0ubuntu1 (now) -> 0.10.1-1ubuntu1 (jaunty)]

Score is 449

Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?]

at that point i said y, and it told me what packages were being installed, removed, upgraded, and which partially installed packages will be configured, and it asked me if i wanted to continue, to which i responded y, at which point t wrote extended state information, and then it said:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-runtime-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu1_all.deb (--unpack):
        trying to overwrite `/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kcontrol/kcmkonsole/index.cache.bz2', which is also in package konsole
        dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
        Unpacking kdebase-data (from .../kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb) ...
        dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb (--unpack):
        trying to overwrite `/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kfind/index.cache.bz2', which is also in package kfind
        dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

from there it's a list of errors from dpkg for various things that can't be configured, or that aren't configured... does that help?
        ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Yes. now we've got it. This is the problem
          npacking kdebase-data (from .../kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb) ...
          dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb (--unpack):
          trying to overwrite `/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kfind/index.cache.bz2', which is also in package kfindd
          A package is not allowed to overwrite a file from another package, because that could lead to chaos. This is one of the best reasons why multi release jumps are trouble. So lets fix it.

sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb --force-overwrite

After it does that it will probably configure many things and then you can repeat once again the dpkg --configure -a and aptitude -f install and all the rest until you get a working KDE, which is not far off now.

Comment

dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb --force-overwrite

(Reading database ... 172603 files an directories currently installed.)
            Unpacking kdebase-data (from .../kdebase-data_4%3a4,2,2-0ubuntu4_alll.deb) ...
            dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb (--install):
            trying to overwrite `/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kfind/index.cache.bz2', which is also in package kfind
            dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killedby signal (Broken pipe)
            dpkg: error processing --force-overwrite (--install): cannot access archive: No such file or directory
            Errors were encountered while processing:
            /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu_all.deb --force-overwrite
            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

It is too long since I have run that. I put the option in the wrong place
              sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb

or maybe
              sudo dpkg --force-overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb

Comment

with both dpkg --force-overwrite -i /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb and dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb the result was

(Reading database ... 172884 files and directories currently installed.)
                Preparing to replace kdebase-data 4:4.2.2-0ubuntu4 (using .../kdebase-data_4%3a4.2.2-0ubuntu4_all.deb) ...
                unpacking replacement kdebase-data ...
                dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdebase-data: kdebase-data depends on kdebase-bin (>= 4:4.2.2-0ubuntu4); however:
                Package kdebase-bin is not configured yet.
                dpkg: error processing kdebase-data (--install):
                dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
                Errors were encountered while processing
                kdebase-data

⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

I thought I would get up this morning to find that you were all upgraded and set.
                  I hope that running
                  sudo dpkg --configure -a
                  will get everything this time. It depends on the force-overwrite having been stored to apply.

If that fails with the same message, including package name, add the kdebase-bin package to the
                  dpkg --force-overwrite -i
                  command. That file is also in /var/cache/apt/archives/.

Comment

dpkg --configure -a gave me the same results as it did the last time, which is the whole bunch of text with the errors encountered while processing kdebase-runtime and the others.

you're starting to move beyond what i understand about configuring linux with the command line, especially since i have a brain injury that affects my short term memory... i should include what package name with dpkg --force-overwrite -i?

sorry this is taking so long. hopefully we'll find a solution today...
                    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Lets take a possible quick solution first. In another thread another user had to do a similar operation and at this point he was able to run
                      sudo aptitude -f install
                      and it did a world of good. That is the first thing you should try. It is likely that you have moved beyond the overwrite problem and aptitude can now fix it.

As to time consuming and confusion. It is time consuming, but I have been stuck before and your situation seems to require that we fix it rather than reinstall. I think we can do that but it takes time doing it through a forum, so I hope you can be patient and try to enjoy the learning, because there is not way around it. We are going deeper than probably 90% of Kubuntu users will ever go, but I expect there are some people reading this and learning also, so as long as I am not stumped and you are game and your computer is not fixed I want to continue.

Now a little explanation of what we might have to do if "aptitude -f install" fails. It seems that when we have fixed one problem with the overwrite we are running into a problem of the order in which things are installed. I think we were using dpkg --force-overwrite to install the one package that had a problem, but then it also had a dependency problem. This makes me think that we may need to include in that same step the package that is depended on, so it can solve both problems in one step. I hope aptitude will now do that but if it doesn't we will try it manually, by adding one package after another to the dpkg --force-overwrite -i command. I don't think it will take many. The package names we will add are the ones that the messages say are needed. In this case it says it can not configure kdebase-data because it depends on kdebase-bin, and kdebase-bin is not configured yet, so we tell it to install kdebase-bin also.

I think that is enough for this step. Let's hope the aptitude -f install works.

Comment

aptitude -f install failed with the same results it did last time: errors were encountered while processing kdebase-runtime, etc.

i'm game for anything, especially if i don't have to rebuild my environment later. for that matter, i'm game for rebuilding my environment if it comes to that, but as long as you think we can get through this without it, so much the better.

at the same time, from what i can see, everything we have tried so far has failed: i don't see how we have "fixed" one of the problems at all, but that is likely because i don't completely understand what we are doing. i used to be a software tester before my injury, though, so i know that even if i don't understand something, that doesn't necessarily mean that i'm not doing it right... 

i'm going to take a shower. be back soon.
                        ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

okay, i'm to a point where i do aptitude -f safe-install which encounters errors while processing: linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-3-rt so i aptitude purge linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-3-rt and try aptitude -f safe-install again, which encounters errors while processing linux-restricted-modules-2.6.28-3-rt...

i've got a rehearsal this evening starting 6:00 and going until 10:00 or so, my time, so i don't think i'm going to be able to skype you today unless you stay up late, but you can skype me tomorrow after 3:00 my time, or we can arrange another time to further hack my system.
                          ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Working...
                          X