This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Problem?

Last Sunday I did an update on my Kubuntu 8.04 machine, it hasn't been used for a week or two so there was an update for the kernel, grub and quite a number of other packages waiting. As I have a modified Grub menu both the Grub and Kernel Updates prompted if I want to keep the existing menu.lst or replace it with a new one, I kept the existing. When I restarted the PC it wouldn't boot, Grub error 15 (I think), using a live CD to look at what was wrong, the /boot folder was still there but the /boot/grub folder was gone

Ok, it wasn't a big problem, my /home is on its own partition and everything was backed-up, also it was time for a good tidy-up/re-install

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? My guess is the combination of updating Grub, the Kernel and using a modified menu.lst file; but if there was a problem with this, I'd expect others to have similar issues

Re: Update Problem?

hmm I had hassle with this one two as I had amended my grub list and unlike you selected the 'use the installers menu' option which was ok...got through to loading up kubuntu then the desktop then it went black...ooh eck ...so I restarted and pressed esc and used the last successful kernel ( 2.2.24.22 I think for me) and then did a little research and had to go into my usr src folder and remove the new one. Then had to go in via adept and uninstall the new downloads. Lastly I open the grub list via kate and removed references to the new kernel.

Boots fine now. In the old kernel though

Would like to get the newer kernel though as the last one showed an error relating to my flgrx graphics driver for some reason

Tried to reinstall via adept but it would not go through the same installation as when I did it the first time ( ie requiring a reboot etc)

Any ideas from kernel experts out there?
    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Working...
    X