This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning off numlock

I have BIOS setup to turn 'NUMLOCK' on during boot.

Unfortunately Linux, during it's boot, insists on turning 'NUMLOCK' off.

Even if I diligently watch for when it turns 'NUMLOCK' off and immediately turn it back-on, before the login screen comes up Linux again turns 'NUMLOCK' off.

How do I prevent the Linux boot turning 'NUMLOCK' off.

Also, I would like to ask the kernal developers the reason for this "strange" behavior (strange to me at least, although I have no doubt that there may be a valid reason for it). Who do I ask

Re: Turning off numlock

Depending on whether you are running KDE 3.5 or KDE 4, if you do KMenu > System Settings, then you'll find a "keyboard and mouse" or some such little utility that will allow you to check a box on whether you want numlocks on or off at bootup. On KDE 4 it is "Keyboard & Mouse" under "Computer Administration".

It's not a kernel option (and there aren't many kernel devs hanging about on this forum, either). It's a "Desktop Environment" setting. So Kubuntu uses KDE, and you set it like you want it to behave. I dunno if the underlying Linux has the numlocks on or off -- you could boot recovery console, log in to the CLI, and see whether it is or not. Probably Gnome has its own little utility to set it for the boot default.

Comment

I have always had some weird behavior with NumLock... when I start a new session the light is on but the lock is off... so I have to hit NumLock twice for it to work... making changes like dibl suggested don't help.

I do run my P/S2 keyboard through a USB converter and then into a hub, so I have guessed that mess causes the problem... anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Depending on whether you are running KDE 3.5 or KDE 4, if you do KMenu > System Settings, then you'll find a "keyboard and mouse" or some such little utility that will allow you to check a box on whether you want numlocks on or off at bootup. On KDE 4 it is "Keyboard & Mouse" under "Computer Administration".

It's not a kernel option (and there aren't many kernel devs hanging about on this forum, either). It's a "Desktop Environment" setting. So Kubuntu uses KDE, and you set it like you want it to behave. I dunno if the underlying Linux has the numlocks on or off -- you could boot recovery console, log in to the CLI, and see whether it is or not. Probably Gnome has its own little utility to set it for the boot default.
        Unfortunately I know all about that - that controls KDE ONLY.

This problem is with th Linux boot itself and has totally nothing to do with KDE.

As I wrote it is during the Linux boot and before the login screen.

So no kernal developers here - I have to try and find where they hang out.

Comment

Hardy Heron 8.04: Turning NumLock On
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            That's a partial solution. What I REALLY want is a way to keep the LINUX boot from changing the NUMLOCK status set by the BIOS.

It still mystifies me why the LINUX boot has to keep turning NUMLOCK Off.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer
              It's the default likely because many laptops have the numpad embedded to the normal keyboard (and numlock turns it active)

There are a few ways you can turn numlock on:
              1. for consoles (tty terminals)
              edit /etc/console-tools/config:
              #LEDS=+num --> LEDS=+num
              2. for kdm (graphical login)
              edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc or /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc (depending on your kde/kdm version):
              #NumLock=Off --> NumLock=On
              3. for KDE
              The setting can be found in system settings

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                It's the default likely because many laptops have the numpad embedded to the normal keyboard (and numlock turns it active)
                Okay - is there any way to change the Linux boot default??

Originally posted by kubicle
                There are a few ways you can turn numlock on:
                1. for consoles (tty terminals)
                edit /etc/console-tools/config:
                #LEDS=+num --> LEDS=+num
                2. for kdm (graphical login)
                edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc or /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc (depending on your kde/kdm version):
                #NumLock=Off --> NumLock=On
                3. for KDE
                The setting can be found in system settings
                The trouble with using KDE and LEDS command is that they don't affect the lights on the MS receiver. I always check the lights to determine the status of num lock - otherwise I have to experiment with tapping a key to find out.

Comment

Okay - is there any way to change the Linux boot default??
                  You could probably do that by patching/compiling your own kernel, though I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Here's a few links I found on the subject, but I'm sure you can find better and more current ones:
                  http://stason.org/TULARC/os/linux-fa...ult-to-On.html
                  http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/li...12.3/1032.html

The trouble with using KDE and LEDS command is that they don't affect the lights on the MS receiver.
                  Could be a bug. Does the receiver led work when you press numlock manually?

Comment

Working...
                  X