This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost my kernels...

I've got a separate boot partition and a number of operating systems. On my latest install of 8.10 I - as I usually do - had the installer format my /boot partition thinking I had made a backup of the other OSs on there.

Well, I hadn't.

Feeling rather foolish now and looking desperately for any kernel that comes my way (only 8.10's 2.6.27-7-generic so far).

Any clever ideas out there? I can't think at the mo 'cos of serious head-banging-against-the-wall injuries...
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: lost my kernels...

Or should I be rejoicing that I've got all this new space
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'd say "Opportunity is Knocking"!

Comment

Honestly, I cannot believe it... There is no limit to human stupidity, we only lack the imagination to grasp it.

Comment

I'd be inclined to format and re-install Windows 98.

You'll be safe, there.

Comment

Ha! Win98, that was my last windows (and I quite liked it ) - huge improvement over Win95. Talk about a clean desktop

Comment

Could you lay all those OS iso's on a Desktop somewhere, mount and open them (as iso's), drag and drop the kernel files into /boot, re-boot, and somehow deal with all the updates going back from the present to the date of the iso's.

What's that? I should do what ... ?
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That is a grand idea, Qqmike!

After a good night's sleep (three minutes ago) the best I came up with was chrooting into them (am trying it right now) and see what further damage I can inflict on the poor dears...

I am sure your method would work though 8)

However, I must be able to rebuild them... All the packages are there! I like this, I'm on the case

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                  After a good night's sleep (three minutes ago) the best I came up with was chrooting into them (am trying it right now) and see what further damage I can inflict on the poor dears...
                  Good thinking, you should be able to chroot into them and reinstall the kernels you need. On an upgrade from Debian Sarge to Etch I got caught by not reading the release notes first and borked my system. Took me two days to correct it by chrooting in, one of the things that I had to do was reinstall a kernel with apt-get from the CL.

I'll bet you'll have a backup or three of that boot partition in the future, eh?.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
                    Honestly, I cannot believe it... There is no limit to human stupidity, we only lack the imagination to grasp it.

think yourself lucky, some us us do not even know how stupid we can be....(see my previous posts for evidence!)

I have not even started trying yet
                    Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

Working...
                    X