This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems getting a kde graphical desktop

I am having an issue with only one user of our family machine. I am not able to login to the kde graphical desktop. I can get a Gnome, IceWM and even a Failsafe, but not KDE. All other users are fine and can get a desktop just fine.

Under my login I had enabled some Compiz Fusion stuff and then I uninstalled it because whenever I would login all I could get was a blank white screen. Now when I try to login with the kde desktop I still only get a blank white screen with either kde3 or kde4.

I know that I changed the window manager to compiz fusion I think and now I don't know what config file to correct to be able to login with kde.

So has anyone seen this issue and if so any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks,

-Eric

Re: Problems getting a kde graphical desktop

Are you able to get Alt+F2 to bring up the run dialog? If so, type:
    Code:
    kwin --replace
    and see if you don't get your desktop back. You might have to restart KDE (Ctrl+Alt+BkSp). If that doesn't work, you can reboot into recovery mode. You'll be operating as root.

CD into your user home directory. From there, type:
    Code:
    mv .kde .kde_BAD
    and then type:
    Code:
    shutdown -r now
    to reboot your system.

When you login, the hidden .kde file will be recreated. Any custom settings you made will have to be redone, but you should get logged in with the default graphical desktop.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Problems getting a kde graphical desktop

Thanks Snowhog! I will give it a go when I get back to the house tonight. I am not sure if Alt-F2 would bring up the run dialog because even when I would do a Ctrl-Alt-Del I never got anything displayed on the screen, even though the logout dialog box was brought up. I would just hit enter and it would log me out.

I did try to reinstall the kubuntu-desktop package this morning but I am not able to give it a test from here.

Thanks again.

-Eric

Comment

Working...
      X