This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updated to kernal 2.6.26-21 generic

I'm having problems with my wireless(Like every oher newb out there it seems)

I rran updates and Knetwork showed my wireless but wouldn't connect. I rebooted and now knetwork options are exactly the same as in kernal 19.

Umm help? Please?

Re: Updated to kernal 2.6.26-21 generic

Originally posted by Stewielikesyou
    I'm having problems with my wireless(Like every oher newb out there it seems)
    Well, not every person has wireless trouble, it's just that people for whom it works out-of-the-box don't have to post for help.

I rran updates and Knetwork showed my wireless but wouldn't connect. I rebooted and now knetwork options are exactly the same as in kernal 19.
    The job of network manager is to try and automatically keep a connection at all times. Thus if nothing has changed about the Ethernet interface you use and nothing has changed about your location, it would be expected to have the same options. Now, perhaps something about the new kernel could use a different module for your interface and this might interfere.

You'll probably need to mention which interface card your system uses in order to get the best advice, someone here might have the same card and already solved the problem.

[Edit] Ah! I found some more.

Stewie (may I call you Stewie), I've noticed that you have spread questions about this problem around in the forum and bits and pieces of what is actually happening.

The way this initial post is worded, I thought you were talking about something that worked and stopped working after a kernel upgrade (notice I use the term "upgrade", an "update" is just updating the package manager with the newest packages available in the repositories. Using the correct term can help with people understanding what you mean. It is grammatically correct to say update because you mean "newer" but I've seen that particular technical difference cause confusion more than a few times.)

After finding the other two post threads (is that all of them) where you mention things about this problem, it seems that wireless connection, with RTL8187b, didn't work with the previous kernel and that is good information to know when troubleshooting, it's different if something worked, then stopped working after a kernel upgrade than it is if it never worked with the old kernel before the upgrade. It is to your advantage to keep all your troubleshooting data about the same problem in one thread in order to make it easier for people to help you and that also makes it easier for someone with a similar problem to search the forum for answers more easily, so they won't have to start a new thread asking for help.

Regarding a statement you made in one of the other threads, if you want to read about a command you can type "man command-name", without the quotes, in a terminal and it will show you the manual page for that command. For example: man modprobe, would show what the modprobe command does and options you can use with it. Sometimes that is faster than waiting for someone to type out an explanation for you.

Comment

Originally posted by tinker
      I'm having problems with my wireless(Like every other newb out there it seems)
      Well, not every person has wireless trouble, it's just that people for whom it works out-of-the-box don't have to post for help.

The job of network manager is to try and automatically keep a connection at all times. Thus if nothing has changed about the Ethernet interface you use and nothing has changed about your location, it would be expected to have the same options. Now, perhaps something about the new kernel could use a different module for your interface and this might interfere.

You'll probably need to mention which interface card your system uses in order to get the best advice, someone here might have the same card and already solved the problem.

[Edit] Ah! I found some more.

Stewie (may I call you Stewie), I've noticed that you have spread questions about this problem around in the forum and bits and pieces of what is actually happening.

The way this initial post is worded, I thought you were talking about something that worked and stopped working after a kernel upgrade (notice I use the term "upgrade", an "update" is just updating the package manager with the newest packages available in the repositories. Using the correct term can help with people understanding what you mean. It is grammatically correct to say update because you mean "newer" but I've seen that particular technical difference cause confusion more than a few times.)

After finding the other two post threads (is that all of them) where you mention things about this problem, it seems that wireless connection, with RTL8187b, didn't work with the previous kernel and that is good information to know when troubleshooting, it's different if something worked, then stopped working after a kernel upgrade than it is if it never worked with the old kernel before the upgrade. It is to your advantage to keep all your troubleshooting data about the same problem in one thread in order to make it easier for people to help you and that also makes it easier for someone with a similar problem to search the forum for answers more easily, so they won't have to start a new thread asking for help.

Regarding a statement you made in one of the other threads, if you want to read about a command you can type "man command-name", without the quotes, in a terminal and it will show you the manual page for that command. For example: man modprobe, would show what the modprobe command does and options you can use with it. Sometimes that is faster than waiting for someone to type out an explanation for you.

You can call me Steven if you want. Whatever's easy for you.

My card is a lite-on something. I'm not sure the exact(I can't find specs on my comp anywhere)

The chipset is RealTek RTL8187B. I've got Ndiswrapper installed and using the windows 2000 driver.

I've reformatted(It makes it easy to restart if I make a mistake) a couple of times when Knetwork will lose my card cause I configure it.

I just booted up and it won't find any networks now. I've also got wlassitant. Thats not picking anything up either.

I'm at such a lose, it's not funny. It's even affecting my mood.

I really wish it was as simple as windows.

Comment

You can call me Steven if you want. Whatever's easy for you.
        Thanks, Steven. I like the Stewie nick because I sometimes watch Family Guy and was just lazy about typing your whole nick.

My card is a lite-on something. I'm not sure the exact(I can't find specs on my comp anywhere)

The chipset is RealTek RTL8187B. I've got Ndiswrapper installed and using the windows 2000 driver.
        Don't worry about the card, you have the important information, the chipset.

I've reformatted(It makes it easy to restart if I make a mistake) a couple of times when Knetwork will lose my card cause I configure it.
        This reformat approach takes time and probably adds to your frustration, most of the time in Linux we don't reformat and reinstall the whole system to correct a problem.

I'm at such a lose, it's not funny. It's even affecting my mood.
        If you can avoid it don't let issues like this affect your mood, that usually makes it harder to track things down because it interferes with a logical approach. I do know that it is easier to say than do.

I really wish it was as simple as windows.
        Well, your card probably works fine with XP but there are some reports about it not working in Vista for everyone. Any operating system needs correct driver modules to make specific hardware work.

There is this howto for using that card in Ubuntu, probably could work in Kubuntu also.
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...ealtekRTL8187b

And this one where it is said that the kernel for 8.10 has native drivers for your card.
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=792092 It looks like with 8.10 you wont have to use the ndiswrapper approach.

I don't have one of those cards so I can't try any of that but perhaps one of those links will help you. ....Or someone with that card might be able to walk you through what they did to get it functioning or answer your specific question if you have trouble.

Comment

I kinda knew that 8.10 has native. So I updated to the beta last night.

I wasactually using vista. then I tried installing xp and it all went byebye.

So I'm on Kubuntu.

Comment

Working...
          X