This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't log in after updates

This morning I plugged in my Kubuntu HH hard disk (it's not my regular OS; I use a frame and cartridge setup to run different OS's occasionally) and booted up Kubuntu. After installing the set of updates, I couldn't log in as user. Kubuntu was set for password-less login as "john," so it was surprising when the login box appeared. When I entered my correct password the screen went dark for a few seconds, then the box reappeared. This repeated, as long as I kept entering the pw.

I booted into the text (recovery?) mode, typed "startx" at the root prompt, and checked (in System Settings?) to make sure that "john" was still set for password-less logins. I even tried setting up a new user, with a different password, and set that as the auto-login. A reboot got the same result: I was asked for this new user's password (actually, I had to change it first), but the login box kept reappearing.

The fix is probably not difficult, but I don't see it myself. Can anyone help?
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Re: Can't log in after updates

How are you doing on space? Is your /home or / partition full up?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: Can't log in after updates

Originally posted by toad
      How are you doing on space? Is your /home or / partition full up?
      Good question, toad! It is a small disk (7.6 G) and I was given a warning that /home had only 4% left. I'll plug it back in and take a look.
      -- Werdigo49
      Registered Linux User #291592
      Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Comment

Working...
      X