This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

booting after installing Kubuntu 8.04

After installing Kubuntu 8.04 I keep getting the "initramfs". How do I get a normal boot. There is no trouble with Ubuntu 8.04. However, I much prefere Kugbuntu.

Re: booting after installing Kubuntu 8.04

At least a couple of us here have had some luck (albeit limited) by fixing a broken initrd.
    For example:
    Reply # 23 from:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3081671.15
    Under Error 15:
    Broken initrd file
    Quote:
    Both files listed in the kernel and initrd statements must actually be present in the /boot directory! In the above example, those two files are vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic and initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.
    Especially after a major kernel update, it may happen that the files are changed somehow. It usually happens with the initrd file. For example, when you look in the /boot directory, you may not find the initrd generic file but only a backup file called, for example, initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic.bak. In this case, here's a fix that may work:
    > Using the Live Kubuntu CD, open Konsole and Open Konqueror as root by typing kdesu konqueror, access /boot, then rename the bak file to initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic (right-click on the bak file then Rename then remove the extension .bak). Re-boot to test it.
    > That solution often works. In the future, when getting another major kernel & initrd update, you may again have a problem booting; e.g., either Error 15 or a kernel panic. (It may happen because by simply removing the .bak extension, things might not all quite fit together, or hook-up, the way they should.) One possible fix for that, and also a fix you might try instead of simply renaming the initrd file (above, by removing .bak), is the following:

Suppose, as an example, that the broken Kubuntu is in partition sda2.
    From the Live CD, chroot into the sda2 partition (see how-to note below).
    Issue the following command:
    sudo update-initramfs -u -v
    and let it run and put things together & right for your initrd.

Chroot -- How-to
    To chroot into sda2 from the Live Kubuntu CD at Konsole:
    sudo mkdir /media/fixthings
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /media/fixthings
    sudo chroot /media/fixthings
    (Now you are “in” sda2 as root and can work from there as if you were actually booted into it.)
    [End quote]

What you just read is what I know. Frankly, this is somewhat technical, and I'm not real sure about all the "What & Why's." It's just one way to fix these things. We have at least another member (or two) here who has messed with such and similar, and maybe some others who might go at this better and differently. I'm just tossing this out in case it might strike a chord with you and give you some ideas.

... Wait for others to chime in here.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: booting after installing Kubuntu 8.04

rons1945, After posting all that, it occurs to me that your situation should not be so involved.
      If you are getting some message re initramfs, chances are that your installation is bad (unless Kubuntu was working properly for you and then after an update you had such an error message).

So, first, I would check your Kubuntu installation CD:
      MD5sum
      and
      "Check This CD for Defects" (on the Live Kubuntu CD).
      Burning ISO How TO: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
      X